BBC modification at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old August 31st, 2004, 08:15 PM   #1
Regular Crew

BBC modification

I'm really interested to learn more about the BBC modification to the VX2000. But all the appropriate websites seem to be blocked. Has the BBC got an online document describing the modification in technical terms? If so, please could someone past it on this message board! A contact with the BBC to ask more about the modification would also be good!
Thanks.
Lizi Hesling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2004, 08:50 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Lizi you may want to have a look at the Greg Winter mod for your VX here.http://www.gregjwinter.com/modification2.htm. Some of the members here have had this mod done and are extremely pleased with the results.
Matt Stahley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2004, 08:52 PM   #3
Trustee

What is your location? the reason I ask is that the BBC mod is somewhat limiting. The Glensound doesn't have phantom

The Winter mod bypasses the preamps and input line level (+4db) into the analog to digital converters. The cost for the new mod is much less than the BBC mod.

For more info on the winter Mod

For more info on the Glennsound GSTN1 which is used with the BBC mod

My VX2000 has been modified if your interested in a before and after audio clip. Click here, the sound files are at the bottom. Use professional quality headphones or good monitors. Don't eeeeven waste your time on standard computer speakers.
Old September 1st, 2004, 09:52 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I am from the UK, but I live in China. It is not feasible for me to get Greg Winter to do my modification, but I might be able to get to the BBC (although it might be another two years before I return to the UK). I would like to do the mod myself (with the help of techinically intelligent friends) - but I don't know if this is a good idea - also, I would need more technical info about how to do the mod before I started looking into it.
Another problem with being in China is getting hold of a mixer. I have found articles online about all types of mixers, from the MixPre that Winter uses to the Beachtek, the Glensound and the Studio 1 XLR-BP3. But I have only been able to find the Shure FP24 (and FP23) here in China. Do you know anything about this mixer? And is it worth getting a mixer with XLR plugs without doing the modification? What about just attaching a better mic via the camera's mono jack?
(As you might be able to guess, I'm completely useless when it comes to techinical stuff - and I admit to being confused - I've been given a lot of advice, but it's all different. I just want to figure out the most practical way to improve my camera's sound so I can show all those PD150 users here in China that my camera rocks too. I hope you can help!)
Thanks
Lizi Hesling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2004, 11:58 PM   #5
Trustee

The FP24 is the Mix Pre, shure just puts their name on it.

There is no way you could or should try something like that yourself. The surface mount components that greg removed looked like flea dirt in a plastic bag. The tools are specialized.

You could try the Beach Tec DXA-8. By preamplifying your input you can run the camera at such a low gain the VX2000's preamps won't give you much trouble. The DXA8 has limiters and 48 volt phantom.

DXA-8

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion