VX9000 / DSR200 / DSR250 various topics - Page 12 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old October 3rd, 2004, 09:16 AM   #166
Wrangler

No, the numbers don't tell you about video noise. The 170 is much better. The only pro camera that I know about that matches the 170 is the DSR-390 and the 170 still might be just a bit better.
Old October 3rd, 2004, 09:43 AM   #167
New Boot

I'm not sure either about which camera is more sesitive: PD170 or DSR-570... We all know that DSR570 is a high-end broadcast camera that surpases PD170 in almost every aspect, but, what about low light capabilities... ? Maybe bigger chip and lens means that more light is needed, don't you think so ? I once worked with a DSR-570 and I must say that it is sensitive, but not much sensitive than a PD170. That suprises me.

Has anyone done any A/B comparisons ? That would be welcomed.

Best Regards.
Robert Mitteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2004, 10:42 AM   #168
Wrangler

Yes it has been done and the results were posted on DVInfo.net. Bottom line, the 170 is better in low light.
Old October 3rd, 2004, 01:07 PM   #169
Regular Crew

Hey Mike, do you remember the post of this comparison?

Robert, I was talking about the DSR-500. I know DSR-570 is better under low light. The problem is: maybe I´m about to work with both at the same time, the PD-170 and DSR-500. A friend of mine said DSR-500 is MUCH MORE SENSITIVE under low light than PD-170.
Old October 3rd, 2004, 04:16 PM   #170
New Boot

It's weird isn't it ? DSR-500 or 570 is at least 5 times as expensive as a PD170 and the PD170 is slightly better in low light.

How can this be possible ? Is there any technical reason that explains this fact ?
Robert Mitteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2004, 04:32 PM   #171
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Gustavo Godinho : Hey Mike, do you remember the post of this comparison?

Robert, I was talking about the DSR-500. I know DSR-570 is better under low light. The problem is: maybe I´m about to work with both at the same time, the PD-170 and DSR-500. A friend of mine said DSR-500 is MUCH MORE SENSITIVE under low light than PD-170. -->>>

I'm sorry but I've worked with both and the 500 (WS) is definitely not as useable as the 170 in low light.
Old October 8th, 2004, 06:46 PM   #172
Major Player

DSR 250 zoom motor noise?

My DSR 250 has very loud motor noise when I zoom fast, both my vx2000's don't even come close to that noise, slow zoom no problem, has any encountered this before?

Thanks
Mike
Michael Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2004, 04:14 PM   #173
New Boot

DSR-250 iMovie problem

Hey guys, trying to export to tape (share) simple wedding video onto DSR-250. Have no problem importing video from camera to TV. When I click share to videocamera, iMovie goes through the process of beginning its export. The DSR250 LCD screen goes to record pause mode and then just quits. iMovie gives a message "lost camera connection. check connections, etc..." I have. No problem. I have restarted computer, powered off and on camera multiple times, and umplugged the Firewire cable multiple times to no avail. Of course I am in VTR mode. Also, when viewing edited video in the iMovie window, no video shows up on the LCD screen of the 250 even though I have selected "play video through to camera" in the preferences of iMovie. Any suggestions or help? Have done this successfully many times before w/the 250.
Chuck Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2004, 04:16 PM   #174
New Boot

woops

Meant to say no problem importing tape from camera to COMPUTER not TV.
Old October 18th, 2004, 08:24 PM   #175
Warden

Try deleting the iMovie preferences.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2004, 09:32 PM   #176
New Boot

Where are the iMovie preferences located at? Thanks in advance.
Old October 18th, 2004, 09:57 PM   #177
New Boot

imovie problem

if you recently download final cut HD or some other program of that type on you computer that could be the problem. if you have, then you are going to have to take it off of you library before imovie will work.
Ed Pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2004, 10:31 PM   #178
New Boot

Yes, I do have Final Cut HD as well. I installed FC Pro about 6 months ago. Not sure if I have used iMovie since installing FC-I'm thinking I have used it for another project but not positive. Do I just delete everything that is Final Cut related? Are there any hidden files I need to delete as well? Preference files, etc .... Thanks for helping out this amateur.
Old October 19th, 2004, 11:10 PM   #179
New Boot

Update! I have tried the following things since last post: 1) deleted iMovie preference file, 2) deleted Final Cut HD and related apps, 3) rebooted enough times w/many different configurations-firewire plugged in, firewire unplugged-camera on, camera off-etc...., 4) repaired permissions. Yes, I am in VTR mode. Yes, I have plenty of tape (blank). Write protection turned off. There is no problem importing tape from camera to computer. Also, when importing, iMovie CAN control the camera. That would lead me to assume that communication is indeed going both ways. Is there some special communication when attempting to export (share) back to videocamera? This is happening now on two of my cameras: the Sony DSR-250 and Sony DCR-VX 2000. Never had a problem before now-even with Final Cut installed. Could I have firewire ports gone bad? Apple did replace my motherboard free of charge earlier this year. Have done several successful projects since then. I have a dual 2.0 ghz G5 w/512k RAM. Should I reset the CUDA switch? If I can't get this figured out, this machine is going back to Apple. Need help from all you pros. Thanks in advance.
Old October 20th, 2004, 07:21 AM   #180
Warden

There is no problem between iMovie and FCP HD or other versions of FCP, that I'm aware of. We have both programs on the computers at the school I teach at and there are no problems. Have you reinstalled iMovie, repaired permissions etc.? What version of iMovie are you using? Is iMovie in the Applications folder and is the Applications folder in the default location?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion