VX9000 / DSR200 / DSR250 various topics - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old April 17th, 2003, 09:56 AM   #61
Contributor

Using DVCAM tape will not give you any better quality. The DVCAM tape stock may be a little better, but it would not affect quality of the recording. There is no reason to use the memory chip stock unless you have a Sony editing system that can use the feature. I use Sony DVCAM tape but not the memory chip tapes. In your case it's probably best to use a good quality DV tape stock. Pick one brand and stick with it because switching brands can sometimes cause head clog in some cameras.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2003, 10:06 AM   #62
Regular Crew

VX9000 PAL

Thanks so much to Bill Pryor for excellent explanation.

You saved me a lot of money on tapes, becouse when I asked Sony Representative, they recommendet the moust expensive one and of course with chip.

Do you hawe any recommendation for brand and supplier of this tapes?

Also do you know have many times I can record and rerecord one tape. What should I loking for to see that tape is getting old.

Thanks
Peter Kulka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2003, 10:07 AM   #63
Warden

I'm wondering how available full size DV tapes are in Slovakia? What is the cost of full size vs. mini DV in Slovakia?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2003, 10:13 AM   #64
Regular Crew

VX9000 PAL

I have no idea, because i living in California and this camcorder is for my brother. I will call him today and check.
I should have answer in 24 hours.
Look for my post.
Old April 17th, 2003, 10:14 AM   #65
Contributor

If you record too many times on a tape, eventually you will see dropouts that will appear on screen. If you take care of the tapes they last longer. Don't leave them laying around outside their cases, always rewind to the head after editing with them, don't let them get too hot or too cold, don't change tapes in dirty environments, etc.

Any of the sales weasels always want to sell you the most expensive tape stock. I use top quality stock, but the memory chip is a waste of money. Sony is good and Fuji is equal to it in my opinion. Those are the only two I've ever used. You might be better off to shoot the miniDV tapes even though the camera can use big ones, because any DV tape deck will use the mini tapes, but some will not accept the big ones.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2003, 10:21 AM   #66
Regular Crew

VX9000 PAL

Thanks for advise.
As I understand VX9000 camcorder will accept only full size DV tape. Because my brother do not have any DV deck, I do not see any problem with it. He will use camcorder as his player (deck).
Old April 17th, 2003, 02:03 PM   #67
Major Player

I have a VX9000 and yes it will accept the Full DVCAM tapes, provided it is recorded in DV. It will also take the blank tapes but it will record footage in DV. Nice Camera, great backup to my VX2000. Though it doesn't have the low light capabilities of the VX2000, it is much like the VX1000. I think you should shop around because two grand seems a bit much for it.
Old April 17th, 2003, 02:09 PM   #68
Major Player

also vx9000 has only DVOUT but a gizmo can be obtained to allow DVIN

Beware ***PLUGGER-BYTES***
John Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2003, 02:20 PM   #69
Regular Crew

VX9000 PAL

According speciffication for VX9000 PAL there is DV in and out.
Old April 17th, 2003, 02:32 PM   #70
Major Player

a friend in the UK has a vx9000e and it is definately DVOUT only , he requires a widget to make it DVIN

maybe its different elsewhere

http://www.shoppersworld.co.uk/templated/midlands/prestons/product.asp?s=80&d=208&p=11831&c=9&s1=68&s2=0&s3=0

Old April 17th, 2003, 03:59 PM   #71
Warden

The DV in is disabled to prevent copying tapes. This is an internal software setting in a hidden menu (in most cases). It is usually only disabled in cameras intended for the European markets. If there is a krack, or hidden menu, you can usually find it on the net, if you search a little.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2003, 11:45 AM   #72
Regular Crew

VX 9000

Hi Peter

I have the VX 9000 for the last 5 years.
It is a great camera (has the same ccd block as the vx1000),and many of the things i did with it believe it or not were broadcast even on the BBC.

The great advantage of using a DVCAM cassette is that a 3 hours DVCAM will become a 4.5 hours DV tape. (because of the different speed of DV and DVCAM).
Any way the cassette is the same just that a DVCAM will come in a better stronger case.

My camera is for sale (2000$) and it doe's have an original DV in/out (it's original market was not Europe where a DV in camera had a higher tax).
This feature is a must for him if he would like to edit his footage in digital and save some money in the beginning not buying a DV deck.

I live in Vienna so the camera can be delivered easy to your brother in Slovakia.
In any case i will be more then happy to send your brother DV or DVCAM cassettes in-case he will find it hard to get them.

Thanks
Johnnie
Old April 18th, 2003, 11:53 AM   #73
Regular Crew

VX9000 PAL

Thanks Johnnie Behiri for very good news. Please check your e-mail.
Peter
Old April 19th, 2003, 12:15 PM   #74
Major Player

manual here

http://194.7.100.75/manuals/3858185231.pdf

Old April 19th, 2003, 01:05 PM   #75
Regular Crew

VX9000 PAL

Thanks John Jay for link to manual, but I do not speak German.
Do anyboby have link to English version of VX9000E manual?
Thanks in advance.
Peter Kulka is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion