Sony's new PD 175 (replaces PD 170) - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old August 31st, 2009, 08:22 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Sony's marketing philosophy seems to be: if there is a market for it, we'll manufacture it. This got me confused a lot at first, but over time I undestood that just because they manufacture inexpensive stuff, it doesn't mean they can't make good quality products (concept a.k.a. you get what you pay for).

Another obvious point: as opposed to some of us here, Sony does not believe that the SD era is over with the arrival of HD. And while the mainstream US media went or is going HD, other parts of the world can't afford the high price, so for them SD is there to stay for years and years to come.

Good job, Sony!
Old August 31st, 2009, 08:26 PM   #17
Major Player

Yeah, I just let my friend that rides BMX borrow my vx-2000 with a death lens, he was really excited. I told him he's not going to want to use that camera after seeing the footage from an HV-30, but I was wrong, for some reason he still really likes that camera.
Eric Stemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2009, 05:39 AM   #18
Trustee

I have the only working demo unit in my area now. REALLY looks like a z5, and it doesnt fit the CF card recorder. I'm gonna put it beside the Z5 later and have a go.
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2009, 07:52 AM   #19
Archivist for SMECC

price on pd 175 and wil my z5 4x slow mo?

whatis the proce on pd 175....

will the z5 do the 4x slow mo they talk about on the pfd 175?

See The Communications and Computation Museum at:
Museum Website

See The Glendale Arizona Videosphere - KKAT-TV At:
Glendale Daily Planet KKAT-TV CouryGraph Productions

Click For Red Camera In Action
Ed Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2009, 07:54 AM   #20
Archivist for SMECC

supposed to work with the cf unit according to lit. fill us in on what you find!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Seah View Post
I have the only working demo unit in my area now. REALLY looks like a z5, and it doesnt fit the CF card recorder. I'm gonna put it beside the Z5 later and have a go.

See The Communications and Computation Museum at:
Museum Website

See The Glendale Arizona Videosphere - KKAT-TV At:
Glendale Daily Planet KKAT-TV CouryGraph Productions

Click For Red Camera In Action
Ed Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2009, 09:33 AM   #21
Inner Circle

This leaves me (practically) speechless. I absolutely do not get it. Two years ago a 16:9 sd camera like this would have been fantastic, right on time.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2009, 06:54 PM   #22
New Boot

I have a Z5U, and after looking at pictures of the PD-175 I think it looks more like an FX1000 with XLR. The back of the PD-175 is the same design as the FX1000 which would require the MRC1K to be mounted on the shoe. Now there is little difference between the Z5U and FX1000, the PD175 is by all means a mash up of those two cameras.
Sebastian Pigott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2009, 09:28 PM   #23
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
Two years ago a 16:9 sd camera like this would have been fantastic, right on time.
Two years ago? I'd say more like 5 or 6 years ago. I got a VX-2000 in 2001 and did a big 16:9 project in 2003 which was digitally projected on a 45' screen. I wasn't happy with the VX-2000 quality for that and felt anamorphic adaptors had too many issues. So I got a Sony PDX-10 which did very nice 16:9 (although only 1/5" chips). The PD-175 would have been just what I really wanted back then.

Today I fail to see why it would be any better than just using a Z5 and downconverting, unless there's a big price advantage.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2009, 09:58 PM   #24
Trustee

Its confirmed, the rear is the same as FX1000. The rest of the body is exactly the Z5. I did a candle light test last night and it look very much the same. Light smear is no issue of course. Could not test the jello effect due to time limitation.

Low light wise is quite impressive but I have not uploaded the stuff. Returning the Camera today.
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2009, 03:40 PM   #25
Regular Crew

To be fair this is a perfect camera for the EU market a few years ago, especially UK. Afterall we've had 16:9 SD for years now yet have had limited choice for cameras (unlike the US where SD has stuck to 4:3 and HD has become popular faster). As a result companies bought Z1's and used them in DVCAM mode. I bet that 95% of all Z1s owned by media companies in the UK have never recorded HDV.

Thats why this camera makes sense, its just a bit late lol. Now days its makes more sense to jumps straight to the Z5 unless this camera comes out at an incredibly cheap price.

I still use my Z5 mostly in DVCAM, very rarely use it in HD as the clients dont want that.
Jonathan Palfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2009, 03:43 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
This leaves me (practically) speechless. I absolutely do not get it. Two years ago a 16:9 sd camera like this would have been fantastic, right on time.
Yeah they should have done a 16:9 SD version of the Z1 when they released the Z1. If they had it probably would have outsold it in the UK at least
Jonathan Palfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2009, 01:01 AM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervin Farkas View Post
...as opposed to some of us here, Sony does not believe that the SD era is over with the arrival of HD. And while the mainstream US media went or is going HD, other parts of the world can't afford the high price, so for them SD is there to stay for years and years to come...
I may be in a bubble here but most of the pro's I am talking to are delivering very few Blu-ray discs. Many clients have HDTV but very few have HD players so it makes sense for broadcasters to go HD but for most of us it means shooting in HD/HDV/AVCHD/XDCAM, etc and then down-rezing to SD for delivery. I know quite a few production companies in this area that are shooting DVCAM on a regular basis and I could see them being interested in this camera for b-roll or getting into tight spots even today. When I mentioned on here a few months ago I might replace my PD170, I had many members of this forum contact me with interest in buying it. Yes this camera would have been great if it was around in the past but I think SONY will see enough sales to make it worth the effort even in today's HD focused market.
Old September 5th, 2009, 07:15 AM   #28
Wrangler

That's fine, but why wouldn't you want to buy one of the Z-series cameras and either shoot in SD or downconvert? As others have said, the only possible arguments might be if the PD-175 does better in low light or is significantly cheaper.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2009, 09:58 AM   #29
Major Player

From the posts above it doesn't sound like it will do better in low light and US pricing hasn't been released so I don't know what to make of that either. Personally, i have embraced HD and will not buy anything lower res again, but I can see this appealing to some of my competitors that are doing quite well staying in SD land...
Old September 5th, 2009, 12:51 PM   #30
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Daugherty View Post
and US pricing hasn't been released
Actually they have not announced the camera at all in the US (unless I've missed it), which makes me wonder if they will offer it here? Sony DVCAM camcorders

Interesting how they are listing the HD1000 and S720 on the DVCAM page however...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion