I need to make an estimate for an event video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old October 20th, 2004, 10:13 AM   #1
New Boot

I need to make an estimate for an event video

Hello,

I need to make an estimate for an event video. The client wants us to shot a video of a congres (like a workshop) of its company.

I'm used to do wedding videos but not so used to do event videography. I asked the client to tell me more details about what kind of video wants before sending him an estimate:

"just shot the event and edit ? Do you want me to make some interviews ? Do you want the video to be used for add purpouses ? What kind of post-productions work do I have to take in consideration ?

Well, I received an email from the client telling that he just wants to shot the congress on video, shot some conferences and speeches and that's all. But he adds that he is open to new proposals. To sum up, he doesn't know exactly what he wants and I don't know how much charge him.

What would you do ? What proposals would you make him ? Some interviews ? Do a DVD and some streaming files for uploading to the website of the company ? What else ??

Do any of you have an estimate form document so that I can see which things do you especificate in it and which thinks do not. That would be very useful. Would you mind sending it to me at:

robertmoix@capellades.net

Of course, omit all the names and numbers.

Thank you very much for your help.

Best Regards.

Robert.
Robert Mitteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2004, 10:34 AM   #2
Wrangler

Robert,

I don't use a form as I've done so many events that I can just add it up in my head in block form for relatively simple events. Then I set down and prepare a proposal where I review the assumptions as I write.

For your sake, the client HAS to define what they want. You can ask leading questions but they have to know what the final product will be. Furthermore, the client HAS to give you an event schedule as so much of your quote can hang on that. Beyond those issues, the location plays a big role in the costs.

So what I do is get them to define what they want as a finished video and for what purpose they are going to apply it. I may suggest different approaches or durations depending on what they want to do with the video. The number of clients that think they want a 30 minute video to act as a pump-primer for a sales call is very large. You may have to guide them.

If the event is happening simulatneously at several locations or rooms, then that will tell you how many cameras and operators plus sound you will require.

The location(s) will dictate the lighting and sound requirements. Dimly lit halls require either some on-camera lighting, stage lighting, or even general illumination treatment (very expensive).

Beyond that, you need to understand what post work you will have to perform. Straight editing? Special graphics? Special sound? Voice-Over? Delivery medium? Each item adds cost.

It usually takes a couple of rounds of discussion with the client to arrive at a satisfactory description of the work to be done and the amount they agree to pay. Always agree on an hourly rate for the inevitable new client ideas that cause the scope of the project to grow.

Oh, always ask if they want to pay to have you archive the footage and the project in case of changes or to create a completely different video. I have several clients who 'own their disk' and on which I repurpose or modify the original project to fit a current need.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion