VX2100 Eyecup at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old October 21st, 2004, 10:28 PM   #1
New Boot

VX2100 Eyecup

Does anyone know where I could get a smaller eyecup? The large one may be good in some cases, but not all. I want one without the cup - I want just a rubber ring. Does the old model VX eyecup fit the VX2100? I searched online to no avail.

Thanks
Hank Meyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2004, 05:39 PM   #2
Trustee

buy a second cup and cut it down to your spec?

leslie
Leslie Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2004, 07:36 PM   #3
New Boot

The OEM cup is $52.
Old October 22nd, 2004, 08:40 PM   #4
Regular Crew

The VX-2000 rubber eyecup is nowhere near the diameter of the VX-2100 eyecup. They are not at all interchangeable. It is likely that the entire VX-2000 eyepiece assembly would fit on a VX-2100 camera, but that would cost a fortune. The most annoying thing that I observe with the VX-2100 viewfinder is the magnifier. It makes the focal range of the viewfinder very narrow, causing it to go into and out of focus if you eye shifts position in the eyecup. Hence you have to be very careful with the VX-2100 to keep your eye in the same position at all times. I find this annoying, and actually prefer using the VX-2000 to the VX-2100 for this reason.
Alan Christensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2004, 08:45 PM   #5
New Boot

That is why I don't like the large eyecup - it makes it harder to align your eye. I think a smaller one would be easier. I amy cut mine down. Plus I live in Florida and this eyecup would make one sweat almost instantly.

To cut a $50 piece of rubber is unnerving; fortunaly there is a huge rubber factory here with a retail storefront who makes about a million rubber items, almost anything you could ever imaging in black rubber. They have hundreds of bins full of rubber pieces for every industrial need imaginable. I will try them.
Old October 24th, 2004, 08:15 PM   #6
Major Player

Everything that Alan and others said about that VX2100 eyecup goes double for me. I'm always stubbing it on my cheek when I look into it. You really have to line up your eye perfectly, to get a good image. I'm on the verge of having at it with scissors. But, how much is too much? It's not like trimming a mustache-----it won't grow back.

Another misery is trying to clean tiny bits of lint from the inside of the viewfinder, off the face of the screen. It seems to have a static charge and keeps them attached. You can barely see them when it's opened, so I put on a pair of 3.25X diopter eyeglasses and used a tiny feather to pluck them off. I had to open and close it a dozen times, before the screen was <mostly> clean. The best advice, is to never open it in the first place and allow lint to enter, unless absolutely necessary.

The flickering that takes place during progressive mode is annoying, on the LCD screen. I use this often to acquire footage for video-capture still pictures. It looks like there's a school of small fish thrashing around when you move it even slightly. I greatly prefer the 1 1/2-inch, non-magnified CRT display on my big Beta.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2004, 05:22 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I just bought my Pd-170 (sold one of my XL1's) and the eye cup was my very first dislike (lots of likes though). I Thought something was wrong with the viewfinder as there was distortion at the edges but realized I had to look straight into the viewfinder to eliminate the distortion. I also hate rubber cups as they fog and cause you to sweat. I did this with my XL1 (it worked great) and I'm going to try this on my Sony. Remove the rubber cup and place an athletic wrist band. It prevents fogging, sweating and gets your eye closer to the viewfinder to prevent distortion. Light didn't really leak in either.
Dave Stewart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion