finding a bag for pd150 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old September 3rd, 2002, 03:04 PM   #1
Regular Crew

finding a bag for pd150

I didn't think I would have so much trouble finding a suitable bag for my new camera. Do I really have to pay up to £120 for a lowepro bag? or £150 for a Portabrace one? is it worth the cost?

Please recommend the ideal bag.
Mark Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2002, 03:11 PM   #2
Wrangler

Depends on what you call suitable I suppose.

I paid about $200 additional to get the Sony firm bag and rain cover when I ordered my PD-150.

I think you will have to pay somewhere in that area unless you want to purchase a camera case made for consumers. Those can be OK. They may not take the same level of abuse or protect your camera as well. A quick inspection before you purchase should tell you if the design is OK.

Although you cannot eat or save percentage, just money, the cost of a good bag is not, percentage-wise, very large compared to the investment in your camera and accessories.
Old September 3rd, 2002, 04:19 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Try Jessops they do their own range of bags called Pacific gadget bags. I've got the largest one 'Palmyra' that fits my VX2000 a few lenses, tapes, varoius leads, mics etc. all for £49.99. The only down side is that it looks like a camcorder bag, so you do have mug me written on your forehead when carrying it.
Chris Tsamados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2002, 12:10 PM   #4
Trustee

You get what you pay for. Why would you pack a PD150 and expensive microphones in a sub $100 bag.

Bottom line is the Kata, Petrol and Portabrace are well padded with a firm wall.All 3 have a bag designed specifically for the PD150. They offer maximum protection for a very expensive camera. The lowepro AV Pro is well padded but it's an oversized monster.

The Portabrace looks like a very nice carry on and not a camera bag.Second place goes to the Petrol and the kata takes 3rd.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2002, 03:28 PM   #5
Regular Crew

where can I find a Portabrace one in the UK? I've searched the internet. Best place to order one from USA?
Mark Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2002, 05:12 PM   #6
Wrangler

B&H Phot0 Video

www.bhphotovideo.com would be my vote
Old September 8th, 2002, 12:26 PM   #7
Trustee

B&H is certainly the "safest" bet. Their reputation is excellant and they ship worldwide. You may save "pennies" by going elsewhere and wind up with a lot more grief.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion