DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   Sony repair? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/35285-sony-repair.html)

Paul Tauger November 21st, 2004 06:35 PM

Sony repair?

My VX2000 needs to go into the shop (firewire port is blown -- no data in or out). I'm going to send it to Sony for their flat-fee repair ($460). They're promising 10-14 calendar day turn around, but I need my camera back in my hands before Christmas, as I use it for travel videography and we're leaving Dec. 27th for Copenhagen.

Has anyone had any experience with Sony repair in San Diego? I'm tempted to wait until I get back -- the camera works fine as a camera, there's just no digital in or out.

Mike Rehmus November 21st, 2004 07:39 PM

I'd not bet that they can get it back in time, Paul. Have you pushed the Reset button just to make certain the processor just doesn't need a kick?

Jeff Donald November 21st, 2004 07:46 PM

No sense tempting fate Paul, I'd wait until I got back to get it fixed. The Holidays can result in extended repair times and parts shortages. It's the busiest time of year in the repair business.

Paul Tauger November 21st, 2004 09:05 PM

Mike, that was a good idea -- I hadn't tried reset -- but it didn't work. I've actually fried two cameras. I think my motherboard has a bad 1394 port. When I get the VX2000 fixed, I'll only connect it through a dedicated OHCI-compliant port.

Jeff, I'm going to take your advice. The only reason I need the 1394 port right now is to clear off some finished projects from my computer. They can wait 'til I get back next year.

J. Stephen McDonald November 23rd, 2004 03:48 AM

Paul Tauger says: "I've fried the 1394 ports on two cameras. I think I have a bad motherboard------".
------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is exactly why I never connect my VX2100 to a computer. It's why I got two relatively inexpensive DV VCRs to do this job and serve as the whipping boys. So far, no problems, but my 2100 gets royal treatment and protection. They've all got extended warranties, by the way.

J. Stephen McDonald November 23rd, 2004 04:10 AM

Second Reply

I should also mention that there are two independent and very skilled video repairmen in my town. They have been factory-trained by Sony and some other manufacturers. I can always depend on one or the other to quickly fix my equipment and do it right. If they need parts, they expedite the ordering. They certainly know what it takes to get repeat business. It's so much better to have qualified locals, when you need your equipment back in service as soon as possible. The last time I took a Sony digital camcorder to one of them, I got it back the next day. The last time I sent a camcorder to Sony Pro in Calif., it took six weeks. I pick the brands of extended warranties they like best and the flat rate for my repairs is $00.

Paul Tauger November 23rd, 2004 10:09 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by J. Stephen McDonald : Paul Tauger says: "I've fried the 1394 ports on two cameras. I think I have a bad motherboard------".
------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is exactly why I never connect my VX2100 to a computer. It's why I got two relatively inexpensive DV VCRs to do this job and serve as the whipping boys. So far, no problems, but my 2100 gets royal treatment and protection. They've all got extended warranties, by the way. -->>>
I have a TRV20 which I keep for that reason. However, I fried its ports, too.

Bob J. Trimmer November 23rd, 2004 05:27 PM

Sony Repair

For J. stephen McDonald

Stephen I saw your response about qualified Sony repair in Eugene Or. I live in Medford. Wood you give me their address and phone number. My E-Mail address is below.

Thank You

Bob J. Trimmer
bdtrimmer@connpoint.net