Sony PD150 Audio - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old March 31st, 2003, 10:18 AM   #31
Wrangler

here is a good place to start: http://www.urbanfox.tv/workbooks/sonypd150/index.htm

or

http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Professional/webapp/ModelInfo?m=0&sm=0&p=2&sp=11&id=57126

or here if you want the manual
http://www.sony.ca/dvcam/manuals/DSR-PD150.pdf

There are plenty of high-end Stereo microphones available. Go to the web sites of the microphone manufacturers to find them.

Audio Technica's URL http://www.audio-technica.com/guide/type/index.html#stereo

The XLR connectors are the only audio inputs.
Old April 2nd, 2003, 05:59 PM   #32
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Tom Hardwick : You don't say if you've got a VX or a PD Mark. If the former then you'll need a Beachtec DXA-4 so that you can independently vary the input levels to the audio.

tom. -->>>

I didn't quite understand this. What's a "Beachtec DXA-4" and why do you need it to manually control input-levels on two mics (wireless or not) while recording? The PD150 gives you full control of audio-input while recording, and if set to "ch1" both channels are recorded separately and should remain seperate after capturing to disk for editing. Perhaps this differs from one editing suite to another, but I haven't tried that many.
Eivind Vaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2003, 06:45 PM   #33
Wrangler

> I didn't quite understand this. What's a "Beachtec DXA-4"

The Beachtek is a little box with XLR plugs and level controls. It is used to enhance camcorders that don't feature builtin XLR inputs, like the Sony VX-2000 (close cousin of the PD-150). I've got one and have been very happy with it. But with the PD-150 you don't need a Beachtek.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2003, 08:23 PM   #34
Major Player

I guess I can add to this discussion. I actually own 9 cameras and they are all still in my possession. To hit the proverbial bullesye on the first hit, wow. But come to think of it had I simply saved for several years I'd probably have two PD150's in my aresenal. :)

CCD-TRV65 (2) One was a gift and the other I bought used from a client of mine while consulting (networks).
DCR-TRV330
DCR-TRV11
DCR-TRV30
DCR-VX9000
DCR-VX2000
Panasonic DV252
Panasonic VHS-C

After getting the VX2000 that's when the hobby became a little more than that. I really don't use all of them, I guess I'm sort of a pack rat for Camcorders. The TRV30 for vacations and regular family stuff. The TRV65 was because of the interesting fact that the Nightshot saw through clothes, but was too afraid to buy the IR filter...darn would have been great here in the financial district of San Francisco because it is starting to warm up...:) j/k anyway, back to what I was saying I have disciplined myself to not buy another cam atleast until this hobby starts paying off some of the accumulated costs, but I got my eye on either the PD150 or its replacement (depending whenever this may be), a Canon XL1S(again or it's replacement) or a Panasonic AGDV100. (I think the model number is correct). :)
Old April 2nd, 2003, 08:48 PM   #35
Regular Crew

Glad to hear about hitting the mark....

Hi all, new to this forum, been posting for a couple of weeks over on the Canopus site.

Looks like I have something in common with you all, went out bought the PD150 for the same reasons, especially the low light ability.

Also bought the Canopus Storm2 plus to put in a shiny new P4 2.66 computer. Hoping to do some wedding work on the side, maybe give up the day job (I'm a therapist, lots of hard work there for sure).

In any case, always wanted to be creative and love computers, seems like a good match.

Hope I can find a place here with you all.
Jeff Natalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2003, 07:56 AM   #36
Regular Crew

Aah....I'm sorry Tom, I just read your post wrong, I thought you said that the PD needed the XLR enhancement. You're obviously quite right.
Eivind Vaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2003, 08:43 AM   #37
Inner Circle

That's OK Eivind, I could see your skip reading wasn't up to par :-)
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2003, 01:36 PM   #38
Regular Crew

I don't understand setting sound on pd150

the manual doesn't explain to me all that I want to know about this camera. I have a few questions:

1. ok the camera offers two separate sound channels while recording - for two mics or for a dub.

A) how do you switch to each channel on playback?

b) what will two channels on one mic do?

2. does higher audio (48k) affect the picture?

3. will using the AA Battery in my Me66/k6 mic for Phantom Power make my Lithium Battery last longer during a shoot?
Mark Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2003, 01:42 PM   #39
Regular Crew

Mark, take a look at this link:
http://www.urbanfox.tv/workbooks/sonypd150/pd150sound.htm

Hope it helps...

Stylianos Moschapidakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2003, 10:21 AM   #40
Major Player

does my pd150 have a "hiss" problem?

just purchased a very lightly used pd150. (less than 10 hrs head time)

i tested the camera the best i could. picture was perfect, every function performed as should, the camera felt very tight

along w/the purchase came the senn66 shotgun. during my testing i plugged the senn66 in, monitored sound via a pair of sony v6 headphones and all seemed well.

i've had the camera week. yesterday, i bought a used sony lav from a local sound guy. (ecm 55b)

i plugged both mikes into the 2 channels, was able to "hear" the difference from each mic and was satisfied.

when i disengaged both mics from the pd150 and while i still had the headphones on, i was surprised to "hear" a discernible amount of noise. it was as if the floor level was too high. i turned down the level in the headphones to 1/2 of what it was, but the sound was still there.

now i wonder if i have the dreaded "hiss" problem. nothing was plugged into any audio and still there was noise when i thought there should have been dead silence, nothing, nada.

if any of u pd150-ers powered up, put on standby, plugged in a headphone but NO mic, what would u hear? sound/noise or dead silence?

i shot some footage this morning without plugging in any mic. i patched the pd150 into my monitor. i then screened this mos (mit out sound) footage. if i turned up the monitor to 90% full (very loud) i could hear the noise floor.

is this the dreaded "hiss" problem?

if so, can i ask/beg sony to "fix" the problem?

will they perform the fix, w/o me having the original sales receipt?

approx cost of fix?

any idea of turnaround time?

does sony do the fix in one specific location or any of the 3 sony business repair centers?

i feel pissed at myself for not "hearing" this sooner. but what is done is done.

now, i need to fix the problem

if i actually have a problem

is your pd150 dead silence w/phones on but no mic?

any and all thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

thank u in advance

be well

rob katz
harvest film
nyc
Rob Katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2003, 11:08 AM   #41
Trustee

If you had the sound turned off how could the "dreaded ' hiss be sony's fault.

Go to your high end stereo and turn on the amp and preamp with no input, crank it. You'll hear hiss

Jack headphones into any audio device and listen. with no input and the gain up, you'll get a hiss

I really doubt that you have the dreaded hiss. This problem was resolved several years ago. Read through the literature in some of the companion links they do list a serial number cut off.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2003, 11:30 AM   #42
Regular Crew

This site:

http://www.urbanfox.tv/workbooks/sonypd150/hiss.htm

says the serial numbers after 1001579 don't have the problem.
Old May 10th, 2003, 11:57 AM   #43
Major Player

what do i do IF i have the "hiss" problem?

my serial number is: 1000510

does that mean i have the hiss problem?

did ALL pd150s below the cut off number have the "hiss" problem?

what do i do IF i have the "hiss" problem?

anyone know how to contact sony?

what is their responsibility to correct this defect?

will they correct without an original sales receipt?

any and all info would be greatly appreciated

be well

rob

<<This site:

http://www.urbanfox.tv/workbooks/sonypd150/hiss.htm

says the serial numbers after 1001579 don't have the problem.>>
Rob Katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2003, 12:55 PM   #44
Trustee

Have you run any audio tests. Play the tests back on something other than your Camera (your stereo) and use the main speakers. Don't just look at a seial number and panic. Relax the PD150 is a great camera.

If you still have a problem contact Sony. Just be nice to them , you are the second ownera nd you really don't know if you have a problem. Most of the people that stir this hiss cr@p up don't own sony's and have never actually heard the problem. petty jealousies I guess.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2003, 01:27 PM   #45
Major Player

One question - can you record the "hiss" on to tape?

If the answer is yes, you have a problem. if the answer is "no" you have no problem.

I suspect the answer is "no".

The dreaded "hiss" in the PD150 is/was a specific problem related to turning off the AGC. When you turned it off, the amount of hiss rose dramatically. Note: you could hear a hiss with good earphones with the AGC turned on or off, it just went up when it was turned off. Hiss over the earphones is neither unusual nor necessarily a bad thing.

I have an early PD150 and the hiss definately goes up when the AGC is off. I talked to a Sony tech type about and he convinced me that it was a good thing, though I can't clearly recall why (something about dynamic range.) What is important to me is that I cannot record the hiss to tape. I tried really hard and I can't. If it doesn't record, as far as I am concerned it ain't there.

So back to the initial question - Can you record the hiss? If not, don't worry about it.
Rick Spilman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion