Sony PD150 Audio - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old January 24th, 2005, 11:15 AM   #76
Wrangler

How many head hours on the camera?
Old January 24th, 2005, 11:39 AM   #77
Major Player

I may be way off base here, and I've never used the PD150, but is there a chance that this is happening near the ends of the tapes? Have you considered using DVCAM for the PD150?

Also, I have seen mention of some strange PD150 audio problems here: http://www.alanbarker.com/ (see the section PD150/170 SOUND - Audio Quirk).
John McManimie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2005, 02:17 PM   #78
Regular Crew

Re: PD150 Audio Dropouts

Hi,

I have had similar problems on a vx2100. The only thing I could reduce the problem to is extreme environmental changes.

Do you take the camera and tapes into extreme temperature/humidity changes?

-Adam

<<<-- Originally posted by Arne Johnson : We're having little micro drop outs in audio on our PD150. It's only occasional, not on every tape, and sometimes it seems if we change tapes it won't come back. This happens in all recording situations and with different mics.

Any idea what's going on?

Thanks,

Arne -->>>
Adam Sturman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2005, 09:14 AM   #79
Major Player

PD150 - Audio Capture Suggestions

Greetings,

I have a couple PD-150's and we shoot alot of corporate videos with lapel mics.. Now our PD-150's have the problem when using manual audio gain it produces the hiss/noise. Using AGC it's not there and seems to provide an overall better quality.

The problem is I can't control the mic level with AGC when directly connected to the XLR on the PD-150.. So I have this idea..

I have a Mackie DFX-12 mixer with 6 XLR mic inputs and XLR out R + L. I'm thinking I plug the lapel in MIC 1 on the Mixer and plug the PD-150 into the output of the mixer. Then I could control the signal level from the mic on the mixer as it's outputted to the PD-150. Then infact I could have up to four people mic'd through the mixer and all go to the camera in the case if I have 4 people on screen in a discussion or what have you..

Any ideas or concerns that I am totally missing, or will this not work at all?
Pat Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2005, 12:02 PM   #80
Wrangler

Welcome to the forums, Pat.

You don't mention if the onset of hiss is a function of the camera or the introduction of the lavalieres. Since you say this happens with multiple 150's, I'd guess this has something to do with the lavs. Or somehow you've had simultaneous failures of some sort in your cameras.

The use of an outboard mixer is always better than the onboard if for no other reason than the level control is so much more convenient and the meters are handy if not absolutely accurate in a digital recording environment (unless the meters are LED).

Seems to me you'd have a six-input maximum system, not four.

If I were going to hook everything up, a line-level monaural output from the mixer would be fed into camera channel 1 which would then split via the switch to both camera channels. Then I'd leave one of the camera channels in Auto and the other in manual and the level set at about 1/4-1/3. Then use tone to set up the mixer output using the camera's meter on the manual channel.

This will leave you with the best of the manual and auto worlds and you shouldn't miss much even if the sound levels vary quite a bit.
Old February 28th, 2005, 12:50 PM   #81
Major Player

First thanks for your post..

Let me clarify the hiss is part of the problem with the internal components of the PD-150. We have two camera from the batch of bad cameras, sony didn't recall but offers a $150 upgrade to fix the problem and even then Sony can't say if it will be gone for sure..

However this problem doesn't exist with AGC on. This is confirmed through Sony..

Anywho, back to the mixer.. I have never used one and well quite frankly and very new to this whole arena..

So basically I have a lav input into MIC 1 via XLR. Then I have two MAIN OUT XLR JACKS, a LEFT and a RIGHT.

On the pd-150 I have input 1 with a selector for channel 1 or channel 1/2 and input 2 without that selector option.

So I am guessing, and believe me only assuming..

I would move that selector for input 1 to channel 1 and input the left XLR MAIN OUT into INPUT 1 and right XLR MAIN OUT into INPUT 2.

I guess I don't know much about XLR and MIC's but are they stereo or mono? If there were mono then would I feed just the LEFT XLR into the PD-150 Input 1 with channel selector set at 1/2 instead of just 1?
Pat Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2005, 01:54 PM   #82
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Pat Sherman : First thanks for your post..

Let me clarify the hiss is part of the problem with the internal components of the PD-150. We have two camera from the batch of bad cameras, sony didn't recall but offers a $150 upgrade to fix the problem and even then Sony can't say if it will be gone for sure..

However this problem doesn't exist with AGC on. This is confirmed through Sony..

Anywho, back to the mixer.. I have never used one and well quite frankly and very new to this whole arena..

So basically I have a lav input into MIC 1 via XLR. Then I have two MAIN OUT XLR JACKS, a LEFT and a RIGHT.

On the pd-150 I have input 1 with a selector for channel 1 or channel 1/2 and input 2 without that selector option.

So I am guessing, and believe me only assuming..

I would move that selector for input 1 to channel 1 and input the left XLR MAIN OUT into INPUT 1 and right XLR MAIN OUT into INPUT 2.

I wouldn't do that. Since everything is really mono, I'd do as I suggested in my first post so you can run one channel on manual and one channel on auto level control.

I guess I don't know much about XLR and MIC's but are they stereo or mono? 3-pin XLR connectors are almost always mono. The lavs are almost certainly mono.

If there were mono then would I feed just the LEFT XLR into the PD-150 Input 1 with channel selector set at 1/2 instead of just 1?

Pan the output on the mixer all to the single channel that you connect to the camera.

-->>>
Old July 2nd, 2005, 01:05 AM   #83
Regular Crew

activate both sound channels on pd150

only the first one seems to function and i couldn t figure out how to activate the sound. when i watched the footy on my tv there was no sound at all while there was some while recording(i had earphones).

thanks
Yohann Kouam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2005, 12:42 PM   #84
Tourist

PD150 Sound Quality with an AT4073a or an AT897

I have a PD150, and I'm trying to make my mind wether to buy the relatively cheap AT897 gun mike, or invest some more to afford the praised AT4073a.

Is there any PD150 specific PreAmp issue that I should consider before deciding between the two? I heard some bitter complaints about the sound quality of the PD. Is it really that bad? Could it make the price difference between the two microphones unworthy?

(Sorry for my English friends, I'm everything but a genuine English speaker...)

Thanks a lot,
I truly need your advice

Tom
Tom Shinan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2005, 09:10 PM   #85
Wrangler

The PD150 isn't as good as I'd like but it is ok wherever there is some amount of background noise. A voice-over recorder it isn't. But I've used mine for this on occasion. The PD150 isn't nearly as good as the DSR-300 or most any pro camcorder. In fact, my Sony MD recorder can do a better job than the PD150.

A microphone can be a life-time purchase. I'd make a selection based on my long-term expectations for a microphone and make the recording setup a minor part of the decision process.

That said, either microphone will do the PD150 (and more expensive cameras) very well. And you can go a long way with the sound from a PD150. You just cannot get the absolutely silent background that (fortunately very few) situations call for in our general work.

For microphone decision help, you'd do much better over in the 'Now Hear This' forum where they talk about the issues of microphone selection and where they have a very good moderator to assist you.
Old June 12th, 2006, 01:07 PM   #86
New Boot

PD150 audio output seems low.

It seems like I really have to crank up the volume of the t.v. or stereo when playing back audio recorded on my PD150. My recording levels are way up there, I don't have the mic attn. on, and this is straight out of the camera before editing. Is this typical?

Regards, Myron
Myron Iwankewich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 01:22 PM   #87
Wrangler

Myron,

It is hard to say since we don't know your playback setup.

What do you mean by your 'recording levels are way up there.' Do you mean the Level controls? Where are the indicated audio levels when you record?

The PD, IIRC, puts out audio at the pro line level.

I never play footage back from my camera into the type of setup you describe so I have no experience at what you are attempting but I certainly have no problems with my properly recorded audio levels in the editor.
Old June 12th, 2006, 03:52 PM   #88
New Boot

Thanks for replying Mike. I record with the levels peaking just over the 0dB point on the meter. Have you never just connected your PD150 to your t.v. via RCA cables to quickly check a new project on the big screen?
I'm going to run a portion of this project through the editor and see how the audio comes out.

Thanks, Myron
Myron Iwankewich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 05:21 PM   #89
Wrangler

No, I never do. I move the tape to my DV deck and watch it on my broadcast monitor. The deck will last longer than the camera (transport-wise) so I don't use the camera for playback. And the deck and the mixer have audio meters so I can see what is happening on the way in (and out)

The only time I hook up to a TV is if I need a focus aid and I didn't bring the portable monitor along (keeps the Director off my camera).

The fancy tools are one of the few advantages of having been in the business a long time. :-)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion