Winter shooting in Buffalo, NY at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old December 2nd, 2004, 03:29 PM   #1
New Boot

Winter shooting in Buffalo, NY

I have a VX2100. I'm concerned about shooting outdoors in tempaeratures that could easily hit the freezing mark. I've read a few threads here that have talked about shooting in very cold extremes, but I'm not sure that my conditions are THAT extreme. I've read what precautions to take like using hunting gloves, warming gels, ease it into the indoors, etc...

- How cold have you shot with your VX2000 or 2100?
- At what point do I start seriously thinking about a Polar Bear cover?
- How much less time will I have on my NPF960 battery. I can shoot for hours in the comfort of the indoors, but is there a percentage that you've noticed you lose in the cold?
- What's the best way to "ease it indoors?"

Thanks for the advice. It's always helpful.

Peace!
Chris
Chris Sebes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2004, 06:52 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I've shot spot news at sub zero temps with the 2100, and spent longer periods shooting at temps between 0 and ten with no negative effects. Battery life will be less at those temps...
Old December 6th, 2004, 12:44 PM   #3
New Boot

Another battery has been on my wish list for some time. This is where it switches to the "need" list.

Thanks for the info.
Chris
Old December 27th, 2004, 10:57 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Keep the extra battery in an inside pocket. Keeping it warm gives you more juice.

Also, put the camera in a bag, preferably plastic, before bringing it in from extreme cold and leave it there till it comes to room temperature. This is to avoid condensation on the inside of the camera.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion