Recording from a Video player at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old September 12th, 2002, 01:49 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Recording from a Video player

I'm trying to record from my video player to my VX2000 but I'm having problems.

I've followed the instructions in the manual to the letter but instead of getting a recording of the video I am just getting a grey image on the mini DV tape. I have display set to LCD on the camcorder and when I am pressing play on it the image is appearing on the TV as well as the video player and can be recorder fine. So in other words the recording process is working from camcorder to video player but not from video player to camcorder.

Please help.
Chris Tsamados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2002, 03:14 PM   #2
Wrangler

What connection are you using? Firewire, S-Video or Composite?

You are in the UK, right?

If Firewire, it is possible that your 2000 is unable to record via the firewire input. This is true of many PAL cameras as leaving it operable requires that an additional import duty be paid.

I don't know about the other two ports. They too could be turned off.
Old September 12th, 2002, 03:55 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Composite, sorry about not including that info.
It says I should be able to record of video in the manual so I can't understand whats going wrong?
Old September 12th, 2002, 04:14 PM   #4
Wrangler

I won't have a 2000 in front of me for another month so I cannot test anything yet.

If you are getting a gray screen, is it a dark or light gray? The reason I ask is that it is possible that the source is not working correctly.

When you hook the composite output of the video source to the composite input of the camera and place the camera in VCR mode, do you see the video on the LCD panel?
Old September 12th, 2002, 04:42 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Its a light grey. No i'm just getting a blue screen, yet when i'm recording from camcorder to video the picture is appearing in the LCD.

I'm not changing any settings when reversing the process just pressing record on the camcorder as opposed to the video recorder (and of course playing the video), its starting to make me think that theres either a problem with the lead or the camcorder, gulp! Or it might just not like the video player, i'll try it with another before anything else.
Old September 12th, 2002, 08:01 PM   #6

Is it possible that your source (the video tape) you're tring to record from has copy protection?
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2002, 12:42 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I've tried it with a number of VHS tapes. However i'll give another mini DV tape a try.
Old September 14th, 2002, 03:40 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I've just tried recoding from VHS to my camcorder on another video player but still the same grey image. I'm going to have to ring up Sony and find out what the hell is going on.

I also tried switching miniDV tapes and VHS tapes, just incase.

Just out of curiosity has anyone else tried to record from their video player to camcorder (VX2000) and been successful?

Old September 14th, 2002, 07:05 AM   #9
Warden

If I remember correctly there is more to recording on the VX2000 than just pressing record if your using the analog connections. Are you pressing both REC and the button next to it (on the right I think). I don't own a VX2000 but I've used it many times to record to (NTSC). If it doesn't work try http://www.smartdv.co.uk/dvinsony&canon.htm they make software to enable DV IN on camcorders that have it disabled.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2002, 04:12 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Yeah you do have to press the button on the right of record and i've been doing that. I've contacted my dealer and they've told me that they get some sort of video technician come by their store on Mondays, so i'm going to be dropping it off to them to have a look.
Old September 16th, 2002, 12:35 PM   #11
Regular Crew

The problem was sorted out by my retailer. It turns out that the scart adaptor supplied with the camcorder does not support analogue out and I had to buy another that had a out/in selector switch on it. Yet there was no mention anywhere in the manual that this was the case. I also suspect that the scart adaptor, which was supplied, was altered for the UK market as we have really tight rules regarding copying videos.
Old September 17th, 2002, 03:41 AM   #12
Warden

Hi,

Thanks for the update. I think your suspicions are correct about the cables. It would have been nice if they put a sticker or addendum in the manual.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion