Compare at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old December 27th, 2004, 09:50 PM   #1
New Boot

Compare

I'm going back and forth between the GL2 and the PD170. I know you really can't compare the two (2100 is probably closer to the GL2).

My thinking has been this:

If I buy the GL2, by the time I add XLR, wide angle adapter etc...I'm getting pretty close to the price after rebate of the 170.

Anyone with personal exp with both cams care to sound off? I know about the light issues and the 170 appears to be a better built cam. The GL2 is also a fairly old camera (but a great one....don't want to offend the GL2er's) as well. Outside of that, what am I really gaining by stepping up the the 170?

This will be my first seriuos camera. Until now my work in the field has been as a consultant on projects. I have my own projects in the works and want to have a camera that will last.

Thanks for the input.
Brian Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2004, 09:59 PM   #2
New Boot

To fine tune my post a bit.....

I originally looked at the GL2 on the advice of a XL1/2 user that I worked on a project with. The plan was to get a solid camera at a fair price and put the extra cash into equipment....mic etc.

The more I've looked at the cams though, I like the 170 for the reasons above and the ccd size difference.

My question is probably better phrased as "how much quality is gained by moving to the 170 taking into consideration the ccd size diff, lux issue etc....Is there really that much difference in the final analysis?

Thanks again.....sorry for two posts back to back....
Brian Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2004, 11:10 PM   #3
New Boot

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34056

i already wrote something about it... the GL2 is same like XM2 just NTSC than PAL

my suggestion: spent some more bucks an take the pd170 or dvx100a - the canon isnt that good, i dont know anything about the XL2 maybe they have fixed that focus-issue - i hope so

but a lot of people complained about that on the XL1
and also cameras like DVX100a and PD170 got more professional handling-features... like the zoomring

but recently i have changed my pd170 to a FX1 - and i am quite impressed

just my 2 cents
Mirko Sohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2004, 11:26 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I generally find that anybody contemplating two cameras as far apart as the GL2 and the 170 should always go for the better camera, otherwise they'll always be looking at the footage and thinking, "Hmmm, I wonder if...."

The GL2 isn't even in the same league as the VX2100 in my view, and the price difference points to this as well. The Sonys have bigger chips, faster lenses, better v'finders, a zoom ring and are much better in the gloom.

The Canon is great value for money and I can appreciate that you can see youself spending the difference on accessories, but you'll alo have to live with the thought that you might have had a better mage up front. As with all things, my advice is to spend the money on the up-front gatherer, get the very best footage you can, and edit on a basic system. You'll get much better quality that way than if you went single chip (say) and spent the 'saved' money on an expensive FCP NLE on a G5.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2004, 12:52 PM   #5
Major Player

I've used GL2s for a couple of years but recently replaced them with PD-170s. I like the GL2 for its lighter weight and better exposure and audio controls. But, the 170 is really in a different league with regard to image resolution especially in lower light. My advice, get the 170 and take advantage of Sony's rebate.
Bob Harotunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2004, 01:50 PM   #6
Major Player

What they said.

(although if I were bent on getting the smaller, less expensive camera, I would go for the Panasonic DVC30 before the GL2)

Get the PD170.

More audio options, shallower dof, more latitude, more rugged, better (more) controls, excellent lcd that can be seen in daylight, b/w viewfinder that can be used simultaneouly with the sidescreen, good looks :-] .

Unless of course you NEED a long optical zoom.

Shawn Mielke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2004, 02:23 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Go for the GL2 if you really fancy using it as a digital still camera Brian, otherwise keep the PD in mind. Side by side they look like competitors, don't they? Well they're not - the GL is niched between the XL1s and the toy-town cams, and I'd rate it as a TRV950 competitor much more than a VX2000 or PD one.

GL2 has only one ND filter. It's f1.6 to f2.9 as against the Sony's f1.6 to f2.4. The GL2 has separate audio input level controls which is nice (but fiddly). It has no zoom ring, no info lithiums.

It has some very good points though. Canon make great lenses and don't feel the need to buy in the word Zeiss. It's a newer model and that brings with it hidden benefits - maybe it uses less power or the side screen is better in daylight? We've yet to find out. But it has 1/4" chips (DOF's too great) and sees less well in the dark, I'll bet.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2004, 02:57 PM   #8
New Boot

Thanks for all of the responses.....

I have decided on the 170. Will be ordering it today or tmw to take advantage of the $300 rebate. Of course Sony will probably drop the price $400 on Monday.....:-) That would be my luck.....

Thanks again.
Brian Keith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion