DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   Minor frame errors on VX2100 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/37031-minor-frame-errors-vx2100.html)

Adam Sturman December 28th, 2004 09:59 PM

Minor frame errors on VX2100

Greetings everyone,

This is my first post...

My Vx2100 is exhibiting a slight, but annoying, problem. My camera is recording about 1 error frame per tape. Usually less than this, maybe 1 error every 2 tapes. The error is very slight, maybe about 15% of the frame, very scattered. The audio is not effected, however, sometimes, very rarely, I loose the audio for a single frame. The only type of tape I use is SONY premium, only sony! I very rarely run a sony cleaning tape through the camera, for 5 seconds.

Another note, this is a field camera, and is moderatly abused. I will clairify. I have a soft case for it, but it gets moved around *a lot*. I also have to run around with this camera a lot, while I hold it. I see these errors in totally still video with a tripod though.

There is still another minor problem, which may be related. Lately, the notch filter, which is usually very good at removing the motor noise from the bult-in mic, has been slowly loosing effectiveness. When I go from very loud sound to quiet periods, while using the audio auto-gain, I usually hear a weird "whine" frequency while the auto gain is compensating for the dynamic range change of the relative volume level, from a relativly louder to an almost slient situation. I am noticing the motor noise is getting louder and louder, over time. :/

Am I getting worried? the frame problem doesnt seem to be getting worse, but it makes post-production a bit more annoying. I know motor noise is always a problem on these mini-dv cameras, and one person, jokingly told me that this was a "feature". I know the tape transport/recording mechanics on these cameras are very delicate and I probably should try to take better care of this camera in the field.

Do others have this problem, is this an accepable error level? Do others have problem with the filter and motor noise?

Should I send the camera back for repair? This will be a major hassle, seeing as how the repairs/service will be handled through the sony consumer division repair.

Please experts, help!

-Adam Sturman

Rob Lohman December 29th, 2004 08:53 AM

Hello Adam and welcome aboard DVInfo.net!

How old and how much used is this camera? It might indeed be
time to send it in for servicing. The tape system can get mis-aligned
or maybe in need of replacement (if used a lot). Another option
would be to go to a direct-to-disk recording device where you can
record straight to a harddisk.

Adam Sturman December 29th, 2004 10:49 AM

I have run approx. 50-75 hours worth of tape through this thing already, in terms of recording. Since I dont have a seperate miniDV deck, I also have to use this camera as my playback device.

The portable HD is definatly out of the question though :)

-Adam

ps- does anyone know, generally, what the turn around time for sony's consumer camera division?

<<<-- Originally posted by Rob Lohman : Hello Adam and welcome aboard DVInfo.net!

How old and how much used is this camera? It might indeed be
time to send it in for servicing. The tape system can get mis-aligned
or maybe in need of replacement (if used a lot). Another option
would be to go to a direct-to-disk recording device where you can
record straight to a harddisk. -->>>