Can I "Hot" plug a LANC zoom controller into a PD150 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old February 11th, 2005, 11:26 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Can I "Hot" plug a LANC zoom controller into a PD150

Hello..

I have a PD150 (well a few of them actually). I would like to get a zoom controller (probably a zoe or VZ-Rock). What I want to know, though, is can I plug the controller in while the camera is rolling?

I used to have a GL-1 (back in the dark ages) and I had a zoom controller (zr1000) and if I plugged it in while the camera was running, I would have to turn it off and then back on in order for the camera to recognize the controller.

The reason I need to do this: I shoot weddings and often will shoot handheld during the processional and then mount on a tripod. Meanwhile the camera is rolling the entire time. Once I put the camera on the sticks I would like to plug the zoom controller in and have it work (while rolling the entire time).

TIA
matt rickman
Matt Rickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2005, 12:01 PM   #2
Major Player

I don't know if this will work for sure with the 150, but I used to do this all the time with my old GL2 and never had to restart the camera.

I would assume you should be able to do this with the Sony's, just haven't tried.
If nobody else offers you a definate answer I will try tonight when I get home and report back.
Old February 11th, 2005, 12:23 PM   #3
Regular Crew

thanks jeff.. that would be great.

What zoom controller are you using? Maybe that has something to do with it?

matt rickman
Matt Rickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2005, 12:28 PM   #4
Regular Crew

You can plug in a lanc controller at any time.
Old February 16th, 2005, 12:00 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I can only speak for my PD170, but when I've "hot-plugged" my Manfrotto 522C, the camera has had a tendency to glitch. For instance, during a wedding reception I pulled the cam from the tripod and disconnected the controller without turning the cam off and the autoexposure went haywire until I turned it off and back on.

Personally, based on what I've experienced, I would avoid plugging or unplugging the LANC while the camera's on. But, you can always try it and see what happens :)

John
John Laird is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion