Need some objective advice please. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old September 30th, 2002, 03:25 PM   #1
R.E. Kraemer

Need some objective advice please.

Hello Everyone;
I am a new member, and I need some objective advise on cameras. I own a special event video service, and our main forte' is Weddings. I have been doing this for about 15 years now, and have been shooting in S-VHS. Well folks, it's time to go digital!! We do editing on the Casablanca, so that's no problem, however, I need help on cameras. One of my shooters is using the Panasonic AG-DVC15, however, I am seriously leaning towards the Sony VX2000. Can anyone offer any advise. It seems like the 2000 is the best choice due to low light capabilities and picture quality, since a lot of churches are on the dim side. Any thoughts? I really do not want to spend $5000 on a camera when it seems the VX2000 would do the job nicely. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old September 30th, 2002, 03:40 PM   #2
Wrangler

Hmmmm. You come to the VX2000/ PD-150 group for objective advice on picking a camcorder, eh?

We are all perfectly objective about these 2 cameras. They are the best performing cameras at their price points.

I don't know much about your other shooter's JVC camera so I don't know what, if any, problems you will have in matching the two cameras.

My personal preference is to have at least one XLR-input camera in operation at a wedding. So I picked the PD-150 because of the additional audio flexibilty.

Visually, the two Sony cameras perform identically and are especially good in low light. Only 1 or two other, much more expensive cameras may be able to do better. Much of their small advantage may be because of their ability to use a slightly 'faster' lens.

Did I mention that clients like them too?

To me, these Sony's are great cameras. Before this, the VX-1000 and TRV-900 were my favorites. No longer.
Old September 30th, 2002, 07:36 PM   #3
R.E. Kraemer

Mike;
Thanks for the advice. Just to let you know though, my other shooters camera is a Panasonic AG-DVC15 Pro-Line. I won't have to worry about matching since he would not be on the same job as a shooter using the VX2000's. I have 7 Videographers who shoot different locations, so cameras are matched at each event. My main concern is that the VX2000 will give me nice video at an affordable price, and, that I would be better off with the Sony instead of getting the Panasonic AG-DVC15. They are both about the same, (within a couple hundred dollars), price range. Do you, or any other posters, know about the AG-DVC15 compared to the VX2000. Again thanks for the advice, and I look forward to any and all advice to come.
Old September 30th, 2002, 09:46 PM   #4
Wrangler

You might wonder over to the COW forums where they have a Panasonic forum.

The reason I stick with Sony other than good performance is the other two companies, JVC and Panasonic have such terrible service and support.

In my recently prior life as a TV and Cinema Technician for the local community college, I couldn't get Panasonic repaired through their factory (hehe) service. They'd just return the cameras without working on them. When I complained to a Panasonic rep at DVExpo last year, he got very quiet, then slipped me the name of the good tech that they fired earlier that year in an effort to shave costs.

Another reason to go with Sony is that you can always sell a VX-2000 for a good percentage of the new price. Not necessarily so with the other brands.

Anyway, for wedding work, I think the only answer today is the 2000, PD150 or DSR-300. I only drag out the big one when the client wants to impress the attendees.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion