Should I buy a used VX2000 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old April 27th, 2005, 12:03 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Should I buy a used VX2000

I am an amateur that is interested in doing some archival work for my family stories and what not. I was thinking about the GL-2 but and Indie Filmmaker friend of mine said stick to the Sony VX. Would I be wrong in buying the VX2000 and getting an adaptor for XLR.

Please help, all advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe
Joe Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2005, 12:18 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Well, I'm biased as I'm pretty much a Sony guy and have been for many years so IF the camera is in good condition without too many hours on it and the price is right I'd say yes, get the sony. The XLR adapter is no biggie money wise and IMHO I think the image quality of the sony would make you happier.

Just my $.02 worth

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2005, 12:23 PM   #3
Wrangler

The VX will do a great job, especially if you want to place people on-camera with 'normal' light in their homes. Usually that means dim light and here the Sonys excell.

I've found that for short runs of cable, the mini-plug microphones sound quite good. I've even recorded a string quartet with one of the $75 Sony stereo microphones that one of the quartet members said sounded better than the CD they had just cut.

I usually use XLR-based sound but in that case, I had 7 microphones operating at the same time and ran out of sockets in which to plug them. So the mini setup was plugged into a PC110 that was being used as a center camera during an outdoor wedding at a winery in Napa. I just wrapped a fur ball made for another microphone around the head of the microphone and rubber-banded it on.

Make certain you know the pedigree of any used camera before you buy.
Old April 27th, 2005, 03:38 PM   #4
Regular Crew

You know I love this forum for everybody's willingness to help. Those are some great points. The more information the merrier for me. Thanks Don and Mike.
Old April 27th, 2005, 05:42 PM   #5
Major Player

I bought an used vx2k from ebay, (believe it or not!). I know iit was a huge risk, but the person selling was a pro cameraman, upgrading so I knew the camera was in good hands. My vx2k was always kept in an underwater housing and the transaction took place, the camera came just as described. Basically flawless. No problems at all. I was very happy wi/ the purchase. Oh , i got it for 1650 to be precise, all original accs included. Hope that helps. If you are buying used, make sure the person selling is credible.. Dont just take their word for it, get proof!
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2005, 05:46 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Cool stuff, it looks like I have a line on a VX2000. I am stoked, luckily I spoke to a guy today shooting his son's soccer game with a VX2000, he loved it. He said there was only one down side. It has a tendency to eat tapes on rewind, any comments?
Old May 1st, 2005, 06:02 PM   #7
Wrangler

Bad camera. Should hang its head.

If it eats tape, there is something wrong in the transport. Alignment or cleanliness come to mind first. Or, I suppose, a bad batch or brand of tape.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 04:52 AM   #8
Inner Circle

I bought a used VX2000 5 days ago, so now I have two sitting side-by-side over there and they look the biz. I have the Beechtek DXA-4 underneath one of them, but it's a cinch to swap over should I need to.

Mike's right. Make certain you know the pedigree of any used camera before you buy. I knew the guy was going for a PD170 and I had a good look over the VX he was selling, in bright sunlight. This one still had the awful original stickers plastered all over it, and had the instructions, Memorystick, charger, lens cap, remote, strap and so on. A few tiny scratches, but hey - it's a tough camera. 700 GBP, A snip.

You know you can tell the age pretty easily? Open the cassette compartment door and right at the bottom of the plastic outer there's the year and month (dot in the third square = March).

Take your time, look at the front element and the tape path, and be happy in the knowledge that this is one of the near-unburstables. A lot better than the GL2 Joe.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion