PD -170 Internal speaker HELP!!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old May 12th, 2005, 06:38 PM   #1
Regular Crew

PD -170 Internal speaker HELP!!!

Just bought a 2nd hand PD-170. The camera is in descent shape, but the internal speaker does not come on during playback. I turned up the vol. with the headphones of course not in the jack and still no sound.
I can hear audio only if I wear the head phones.
I read the manual and it says that if the Ausio Mix is set to the channel 3 / 4 side of the setting this could be the problem.
I adjusted the Audion Mix to the left side of the audio mix, but still no dice.
I set it on channel 1, channel 2 and in between 1 and 2, still no audio!

Has anyone else experienced this or know how to fix this problem?

Last edited by Bernard Diaz; May 12th, 2005 at 06:54 PM.
Bernard Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2005, 08:22 PM   #2
Inner Circle

The audio switch on the side of the camera will have no effect on the problem. That is for switching for switching audio channels while recording only and has no effect during playback.
Set the camera to VCR mode and press the menu button. Scroll to the 2nd icon on the menu press the wheel and you should be in the AUDIO menu. Go to the first icon and press the wheel. The normal set for that is channel 1 channel 2. Once thats set (its possible the previous owner changed it-just want to make sure) go to the 2nd icon and press the wheel. This is where the audio is ditributed to ch 1, 2, 3, 4. Since channels 3 and 4 are used only for audio dubbing it is possible the previous owner was doing dubbing and reset the balance of the channels. The little indicator mark should be towards the left or channels 1&2. If it is already there then it might be a speaker or wire problem which would entail a repairshop.
HTHs
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2005, 09:17 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the reply Don.
Well after much trial and error, I decided to reset the camera. All of the settings were in the right place, but they didn't function prior to the reset.
Once I reset the camera, the camera by default went into a beeping mode. I noticed that thebeeping was coming from the speaker, so I knew I was close.
I ran an old tape from my old XL1s, but I couldn't hear it through the speaker, but again I could hear it with the headphones. So I recorded a few minutes of audio. When I replayed it the speaker worked!
Great.
Bernard Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2005, 05:49 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Glad you got it working.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion