Simultaneous VF and LCD? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old May 13th, 2005, 07:30 PM   #1
Major Player

Simultaneous VF and LCD?

Does the 170 allow you to have the VF and LCD on at the same time?
Dan Shallenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2005, 07:44 PM   #2
Wrangler

Yes, that is one of the changes between the 150 and the 170. The 150 vf would only activate wen the LCD panel was open if the panel was flipped forward or stowed in the body with the panel out. The 170 should allow you to select both.
Old May 13th, 2005, 08:19 PM   #3
Wrangler

Mike: That is a real gem of information regarding the PD-150 which I've never heard before. As soon as I read this I grabbed my PDX-10 and - sure enough - it behaves the same way. When you rotate the LCD forward and/or snap it shut facing out the viewfinder also becomes active.

Cool, I never knew that! :-)
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2005, 08:27 PM   #4
Wrangler

FWIW, I just tried this on my VX-2000 and it does the same thing. Now I'm not sure how I can use this, but it's cool to keep learning things :-)
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2005, 08:37 PM   #5
Wrangler

I can tell you I use flipped and pushed into the body it to keep the director off my viewfinder and to avoid, whenever possible, dragging the Sony monitor into the field.

It also works very well when you need all the space possible in front of the camera. You can push it right up against the wall.

The other use I have for it is when I shoot out of a moving vehicle. I can hold the camera much steadier across my body than with the lens pointed to the front. I hold it at both ends with a hand and then can move the camera up and down, keeping it parallel to the world, with both arms.

Want to have some fun with the camera? Set the shutter speed to around 1/4 second or a bit lower and have someone drive you down the street. Point the camera out the side window,using the LCD as the finder.

If someone, like a motorcycle rider paces you, that person (and bike) will stay reasonably in focus but the background will stream like a bunch of multi-colored ribbons. Then you can generate slomo in your editor and it looks dreamy.

Try it at night with store windows and traffic.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion