DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   Audio Technica AT897 - pd170 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/45830-audio-technica-at897-pd170.html)

Jim Hines June 7th, 2005 07:04 AM

Audio Technica AT897 - pd170

To the point - How to get it to fit in the on camera mic holder.

Anyone know of a specific part that I can purchase?

I saw this suggestion in another thread in reference to another camera. "The only thing (and I don't consider it a problem) is wrapping a piece of foam (or DSE suggested a band from an intertube) so it fits in the Z1 holder. I use a piece of foam with a rubber band to hold it in place. After that, it fits so well you forget you have it." - I believe that suggestion comes from a Mr. Jerry Waters. No offense to Mr. Waters but I'm looking for something a little more elegant.

I suppose I could go to the hardware store and see if they can cut a piece for me, but would really like to have something that looks like it was meant for the camera. Don't want to take the piece off the stock mic because it would likely tear as it is glued on pretty good.

BTW, the mic works great. Would love to use it exclusively.

TIA

Robin Davies-Rollinson June 7th, 2005 08:07 AM

Surely, some black foam could be cut to size to fit inside the holder. It would never be seen.
Anyway, it's only what Sony would have done if they'd thought of it...

Robin

Pete Wilie June 8th, 2005 11:03 AM

Jim,

You might want to test the AT897 with some foam or other temp solution before making a significant investment. I found that with a ATM31a the mic still picked up too much mechanical noise from the camera with the PD170 mount. When I use the AT8415 shock mount I get no camera noise.

Don Bloom June 8th, 2005 11:35 AM

I use the AT897 on my 150s with a CAC12 (Sony) mic mount and the rubber collar that came with it. I also use it when I use the ME66 or 416. It is a bit tight but works well. With the CAC12 mount you can adjust the positioning of the mic and reduce or eliminate the mechanical noise you are hearing.
BTW, the rubber collar on the stock mic can be removed CAREFULLY. IIRC it is either on with a small amount of glue or double faced tape.
I even modified the CAC12 to fit my JVC5000 until I made another mount to fit and now I don't have to switch the mount between cameras. The CAC12 is expensive but it works great and is worth the money. Well maybe not worth the money but you have few options that are less. ;-)

HTHs
Don

Jim Hines June 8th, 2005 12:00 PM

Pete,

I have that shock mount, but it's just for boom poles, right? Is there a way to use it in order to attach the mic right to the camera?

I saw another post in the ME66/K6 discussion where the guy is using gaffers tape on the mic to make it fit in the on camera holder. I guess I'll go with that method for the time being. Easy to apply, least noticable and reversable should I find something else.

I checked my local hardware stores and Radio Shack yesterday for a piece of rubber, like the one on the stock mic, to attach to the 897 but came up empty.

Don,

Looking at the CAC12 online now....it is a bit pricey....thanks for the tip. Also, I just removed the rubber from the stock mic. You were right it came off easier than I had anticipated. However, the 897 is somewhat thinner than the stock mic so the rubber still wasn't wide enough. Dang!

Pete Wilie June 8th, 2005 12:27 PM

AT Shoe Mount Adapter

Jim,

You can mount the AT8415 on the camera using the Audio-Technica 3760057 Camera Shoe Mount Adapter, available at B&H for about $10.

Works great!

Jim Hines June 8th, 2005 12:47 PM

Pete,

Excellent!

Thank you!

P.S. Just ordered online. Shipping UPS adds up to the subway ride there and back. Should have it next week. Thanks again.

Jeff Toogood June 16th, 2005 06:50 PM

I cut a small section out of an old mouse pad and wrapped it around the barrel of the mic.
Can't even see it and the mic fits nice and snug in the stock holder.

Jim Hines June 17th, 2005 07:14 AM

should have followed up on this earlier.

First, I have to hand it to B&H. I had the piece that attaches the shock mount to the shoe the day after I ordered. Granted I live in the same city but if any one has ever been to B&H you know how crazy busy that place is. So hats off to their efficiency.

The part does what it says it does and the mic sits proudly atop the camera.

It's perfect for indoor or studio environments.

But for city run and gun I can foresee some issues. When I take this camera out in NY city streets it draws stares and I've been stopped by more than one policeman asking what I'm up to. The additional mic on top only adds to it's conspicuousness. So for those times I will be using either the gaffers tape solution or the recently added "mouse pad" idea.

Thanks to all who responded.
Jim