VX2000 or is there an alternative - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old October 29th, 2002, 06:52 AM   #16

What I should use to make better looking video other than using MPEG1.... I m sorry for bugging you with my stupid question
Old October 29th, 2002, 06:56 AM   #17
Major Player

Mpeg2 would be a good choice.

Instead of making a VCD, make a S-vcd, not quite as nice as a dvd, but you can put simple menu's and chapters on them and it is a big improvement over vcd.

kermie
Zac Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2002, 07:16 AM   #18
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Mike Rehmus : You need to be able to connect between the house mixer (using whatever connection they will give you) and your recorder. In doing so, you will need to insure you have a hum-stopper in your kit to kill ground loops. You can get one from Markertek for about $60. I always take an adjustable attenuator as I've had feeds that were too hot for microphone level input and too low for line. AT makes a reasonably priced XLR unit for about $40.

I'd take two cables (one as a spare) or three cables if you need to break the run into two parts to insert the hum stopper or attentuator.

You should visit the clubs ahead of time if at all possible and look and test the hookups.

One thing you can try although it is a bit risky is to use a wireless transmitter to collect the sound feed and transfer it to you wherever you are in the room. The only problem is that cell phones and pagers sometimes cause interference. I've done this a few times and it does work.

Don't be shy. The sound guys are usually OK. Take em their favorite drink or donuts or whatever if you need to break the ice.

Just make certain you make the arrangements well ahead of time. No one likes to have to deal with something new just as they get ready for the show. -->>>

Mike,

This is a great suggestion. On a recent live music shoot we did something similar to what you mentioned. The audio feed was taken from the mixer into a HD audio system. In this remote rig, we had a set of API mike pre's which gave us amazing sound.

From here the audio team took the sound back to their recording studio and cleaned it up. This made a HUGE difference in the overall production.

Here is a link to the rough cut from the production:

http://www.image-studio.com/movies/llsong2.html
Houston, Texas
Paul Sedillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2002, 07:31 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Depending on the legnth of your work and desire to stick with less expensive cd-r's for recording media you could always go to MPG2 SVCD's to up the quality a great bit.
I use DVD's mostly and have had only a few problems with people not being able to play them. It does not seem to me to be much more than whan I used CD's only but the difference in quality and ability to set up the menu is worth the small problem and difference in cost to me.
You might look at using MPG2 on a cd and see the difference.
KennJ
Old October 30th, 2002, 02:39 AM   #20

Followup Question

Thanks jAyVIdDV, kermine, Kenn J, Mike & Paul,

I learned so much from listening to you all. And Paul's video is like...WOW! I had 2 midterm this week and couldn't get here until now, so...

Here are some more thing I wanted to ask more. Goin a little bit off topic.

1) When I said "White Noise" I meant: You put a cheap blank cassete tape in your deck and play back loud. And you would hear this sound that goes like, "SHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...." I hear a lot of those sound mixed with music when I use mic-in built into TRV900 with AT822. I don't know why it does that. I think I m going to be doing audio separately, but I m still curious. Someone told me in rec.video.desktop that "Mic in is noisy (at line out, not the headphone out) only with improperly matched gains and improperly set levels..."

2) To Mike, my ultimate application is making downloadable videos for the fans so they can visit website to watch the shows they missed. It helps to keep the fan base alive. I haven't ask the band if they want to make a "Best of" DVD and sell it @ their march table. Does this mean I won't need super good DVCAM/minDV camera?

3) I looked at DSR300 and similar camera. Those looks super nice, but I dun think I can carry around that big camera on my shoulder because I am short and skinney. Other thing is that I usually hug the stage and stand in the middle so I can have basist on the left, guitar on right and drummer right in front of me. I hug stage so that I won't get people's head. There is a person who has as big camera as DSR300 but he mounts it on mono pod and since the camera is so big, he has to like, sort of hide and shoot from the side of the stage.

4) Getting sound from PA: So the connection goes like... 2 XLRs for L & R -> Hum Stopper -> 2 XLRs for L & R -> Attenuator -> Dual XLR to stereo mini ? But then...what if PA got only RCA out or headphone out? I don't know how to patch that to Hum Stopper....

5) About asking to patch in to Soundboard. Would it be better if I get to talk to the sound guy couple of day before the show? The band plays in a bar next time, and I don't know how to get in contact with the sound guy. I usually comes to the show 3 hours before and get inside the venu 2 hours before with the band. Would it be rude to ask the sound enginner just 2 hours before the show about patching in and stuff?

6) The last one is for Kenn J. & Paul: Unless the band wants to sell their comp video at march table, only worry about making DVD is that the band member's DVD player might not be able to play. Other question is that if I do SVCD, I think many visitor to the site won't be able to watch it. I learned this hard way how many of casual surfer have no idea what SVCD is and how to install program or codec for it. So maybe I could try quicktime? Paul, how was your production compnay's quicktime video encorded? Particually the one you posted the link to it--it looked so good and streamed so well...I never done quicktime so can you give me some hint?

That's all I got for now,

Thanks and have a happy Wednesday!
Old October 30th, 2002, 03:51 AM   #21
Major Player

Re: Followup Question

<<<-- Originally posted by RagadyAnne : 6) The last one is for Kenn J. & Paul: Unless the band wants to sell their comp video at march table, only worry about making DVD is that the band member's DVD player might not be able to play. Other question is that if I do SVCD, I think many visitor to the site won't be able to watch it. I learned this hard way how many of casual surfer have no idea what SVCD is and how to install program or codec for it. So maybe I could try quicktime? Paul, how was your production compnay's quicktime video encorded? Particually the one you posted the link to it--it looked so good and streamed so well...I never done quicktime so can you give me some hint?
-->>>

Your very welcome!

Question 6 - Yes, if you can get in touch with the sound guy days before, it is always better.

I used a product called Discreet Cleaner. Actually, I exported from Final Cut Pro to a QuickTime file. From here I used Discreet Cleaner. The cool thing about working with Cleaner, is that it will walk you through the correct compression method based on the delivery needed i.e. - streaming video. There is a wizard in the program which walks you through the process.

What kind of editing program are you using?
Houston, Texas
Paul Sedillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2002, 11:09 AM   #22

I'm using Permier and frameserving to Tsunami encorder and make MPEG1 because it is non propritary format. I m learning how to use Vegas Video 3, but it's so wired and can't figure out what all those buttons are. They makes me dizzy. I tried to use Quicktime after I saw your rocking video, but I can't find quicktime codec when rendering or exporting. I intalled QT6 Pro, but I only see players and not encorder.

Anyone know how to connect PA -> hum stopper -> Pre Amp -> MD?

Sorry for being off topic.
Old October 31st, 2002, 08:02 PM   #23
Regular Crew

yeah, don't be shy. it's for the fans after all.

i got good concert sound from the sound board plus a mic on the camera...the mic is a good idea because some times the board mix will be mainly only drums and vocals if it's a small venue.

i think that your best bet would be to leave the md plugged into the sound board with one channel and a stationary mic in the other channel.

why does camcorder sound suck so much?
i read the comparison article, but...
if you used the MD as your mic's pre amp and plugged it into your camera as a line level recording in vtr mode...would the sound still lack?
just wondering
Brian McKenna is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion