Complete beginner on PD170 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old June 13th, 2005, 02:06 PM   #1
New Boot

Complete beginner on PD170

I'm learning how to use a Sony PD 170, and after having gone through the owner's manual I find that I am still wondering about some of the camera's functions. The manual is written assuming a higher level of knowledge than I have. Does anyone have any recommendations on tutorials or books that will explain the basics of gain, white balance, shutter speed and in regard to these functions what considerations I should keep in mind for post production, and also, for instance, the advantages of shooting in manual instead of automatic, etc. Thanks for any and all recs.
Rudy Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2005, 06:03 PM   #2
Major Player

Though there is great knowledge base to be found and utilized here, you might try http://www.alanbarker.com/. I found a lot of answers to functions on the PD170 there. Hope this helps.
Old June 13th, 2005, 06:10 PM   #3
Major Player

Tyge, I agree!

Alan Barker's website is very informative if you own any cam and plan on doing documentary work or run-and-gun shooting. You may not agree with every premise, but he'll make you think about things that you may not have before.

Another useful site for learning the PD 170 is the Urban Fox PD170 Workbook or, for other cams, the Any Cam Workbook.
Old June 14th, 2005, 05:44 PM   #4
New Boot

Awesome

Those websites have exactly the info I'm looking for. Many thanks!
Rudy Weitz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion