DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   Recording from TV to vx2100 - Important! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/46166-recording-tv-vx2100-important.html)

Advil Dremali June 13th, 2005 03:47 PM

Recording from TV to vx2100 - Important!

Is there any way I can record from my tv to my 2100? I just tried plugging in the RCA's then putting the camera into vcr mode. then pressing the record and the blank button beside it. and it says its recording but i just get a plain brownish screen when i play it back.

any ideas?

This is important, and i need to know by 10 tonight!

thanks a lot.

Boyd Ostroff June 13th, 2005 04:15 PM

Look in the menus for the DV IN/OUT settings, I think you will need to change these. Sorry my VX-2000 isn't handy at the moment. The manual should explain how to set it.

Are you sure you're really getting a signal though? Try plugging a monitor into the cable to confirm this.

Ted Yan June 13th, 2005 04:19 PM

Recording TV

Set display in ETC to LCD in the menu setting
Press Menu to erase the display
Press Record and the button on its right simultaneously on your camcorder, then immediately press II (pause) on your camcorder.

Boyd Ostroff June 13th, 2005 04:26 PM

OK, just looked at the manual. I was thinking of transcoding the analog signal so it comes out of the firewire output. To do that you need to set A/V > DV OUT to ON. To just record analog video to tape this shouldn't be needed.

So again I would suggest hooking up a monitor to your cable to confirm you're getting a signal.

Advil Dremali June 13th, 2005 04:57 PM

What do you mean hook up a monitor?

I just looked in the etc settings and it's already LCD...

I'm trying to do it via RCA, not DV out..

Boyd Ostroff June 13th, 2005 05:20 PM

Instead of plugging the camera into the TV, plug in a video monitor. That way you can confirm you're getting a usable video signal at the end of the cable. If you don't see a picture then the problem is with either the cable or the video output jack from the TV, and not the camera.

Advil Dremali June 13th, 2005 05:53 PM

Ah I see..

I don't have a video monitor, thats the problem.

Could the problem be that the show is being watched from a digital cable box, and i'm plugging the camera into the tv and not the box?

Boyd Ostroff June 13th, 2005 06:00 PM

Well actually that's what I was getting at... are you sure you're plugging into a video OUT jack and not video IN? Most TV's don't have video out. Does the cable box have video out? You will get better results if you can use an s-video cable between the box and your camera.

As another thought, if you don't have a monitor then plug the cable into the video input of a VCR, record a little on a tape, then plug the VCR into the TV and see if you recorded anything.

My *guess* is that your camera is fine but it just isn't getting a signal due to the way you've hooked it up. Sorry, can't do much without actually being there...

Advil Dremali June 13th, 2005 07:18 PM

Ah I see. It was audio/video in.

I plugged it into the back of the cable box and it worked fine.

one last question.. When i press the Record and the blank button, it starts to record but it says Index Mark. then if i press the Index mark button that turns off but still records. What should I do? just leave it on index mark?