DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   sound problem with VX-2100? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/46356-sound-problem-vx-2100-a.html)

Anthony Mooney June 16th, 2005 08:45 PM

sound problem with VX-2100?

Hi everybody

My set-up is : VX-2100 + Beachtek DX4 (stereo mode) + two mics. I just realized that the stereo separation is not 100%. It used to be a 100% or at least that’s what i remember!
My left chan has a 5% of the right chan and vice versa. I tried an older mixer (studio 1 productions) but still the same. So this makes me think that it must be the camera , but i can't seem to find what.

This is a real problem when I need two clean and independent channels.
Any body has a similar problem?

Thanks in advance
Anthony

Tom Hardwick June 17th, 2005 07:11 AM

Interesting, as I have the same setup and have never noticed the gentle dilution of one channel by another. So if you record with only one mic plugged into the Beachtek you actually hear it at a very low level on the other channel Anthony? I'd suspect signal breakthrough within the Beachtek due to improper wiring shields, though you could plug a mono mic direct into the VX to check out that as well.

tom.

Anthony Mooney June 17th, 2005 08:34 AM

" So if you record with only one mic plugged into the Beachtek you actually hear it at a very low level on the other channel Anthony? "

Yes! And this happens with Beachtek and and older one I have(that is why it makes me think that is the VX-2100's problem). It is insane!

Pete Wilie June 17th, 2005 09:14 AM

Anthony,

When you are recording with only one mic plugged into the Beachtek, have you tried:

1. Make sure the Beachtek Stereo/Mono switch is set to STEREO.
2. Turn up the level on both Beachtek channels to max
3. On the VX2100 (assuming it's the same as a PD170):
(a) Turn off AGC for both channels
(b) Turn manual level control on for both channels
(c) Turn the level of the channel with no mic completely down
(d) Adjust the level of the channel with the mic for loudest sound to be at about -12db

To double-check, switch the mic to the other channel and repeat the above.

When you play back listen with each of these audio output options separately:
1. Output both CH1 and CH2
2. Output only CH1
3. Output only CH2

It's probably best to do this with a good set of headphones.

Boyd Ostroff June 17th, 2005 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Wilie
On the VX2100 (assuming it's the same as a PD170): (c) Turn the level of the channel with no mic completely down (d) Adjust the level of the channel with the mic for loudest sound to be at about -12db.

Pete, unless they've made some major changes on the VX-2100 vs my VX-2000 (which I seriously doubt), you can't make these adjustments. Those are only available on the PD series. All you can do is select mic/line level using a slider switch, choose auto/manual level in the menus, and control the manual level of both channels simultaneously with the menu wheel.

The camera doesn't have split channel control, which is one reason that people buy Beachteks... and PD-170's! :-)

Pete Wilie June 17th, 2005 09:43 AM

Yes Boyd, that's why I said "assuming it's the same as a PD170", because since I don't own a VX2100 I did not know for sure whether or not it had this capability.

Mike Rehmus June 17th, 2005 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony Mooney
" So if you record with only one mic plugged into the Beachtek you actually hear it at a very low level on the other channel Anthony? "

Yes! And this happens with Beachtek and and older one I have(that is why it makes me think that is the VX-2100's problem). It is insane!

That is probably a rash assumption. I'd be more inclined to blame the Beachtek for poor quality shielding. Until you bypass the Beachtek, you won't know.

Anthony Mooney June 19th, 2005 11:20 AM

Thank you all.

The problem occurs either with Beachtek and Studio 1 productions. Tha is why I feel there must be a problem with the camera.

Thanks guys.