DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   How do you import Video from VS 2100 into computer? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/47856-how-do-you-import-video-vs-2100-into-computer.html)

Wayne S. Collamore July 17th, 2005 07:36 PM

How do you import Video from VS 2100 into computer?

Hi,

I will be receiving my new Sony VX 2100 tomorrow and have been reading about issues related to directly importing video from the camera into the computer via firewire. What do you use to accomplish this transfer?

Also, what tapes and cleaner tapes do you use and recommend? I have read that this is also an issue. Thanks.

Wayne

Mike Rehmus July 17th, 2005 08:03 PM

Congratulations on the new camera.

There should be no issues at all if you are importing the DV in via FireWire. Use the correct cable and depending on your computer, have the camera under power and connected to the computer before you start it. Most PCs don't care, but some Macintosh have been a bit touchy.

As to tape and cleaning tape, I will always recommend Sony. You can buy Sony Premium tape from the supply houses for around $4 per tape in packs of 5. I have never, in 5 years, had a bad Sony tape or had any head problems with my cameras or the cameras at the local college. The school VX-1000s are over 8 years old and have never had a head problem. We only allow Sony tapes to be used with the school equipment.

While you should carry a cleaning tape with you, don't use it unless the camera warns you.

Wayne S. Collamore July 18th, 2005 10:25 AM

Thanks

Thanks for the reply Mike.

Is there anyone else who will post your method of importing video from your VX 2100 (or similar) into their computer? Do you use another, cheaper camera or a Mini DV deck? Do you use Sony tapes?

Wayne

Mike Rehmus July 18th, 2005 10:40 AM

If you had asked the question about importing without tying the 2100 into it, you would have received the answer from me that I normally use a Sony DSR-20 deck, Wayne. I use a throw-away small camera if I ever have to handle non-Sony tapes (although I usually tell them they have to supply the camera/deck in those cases).

This issue about what to use and what tapes and cleaning tapes has been exhaustively discussed on this and other forums. Please use the search function to find the answers.

Walter Nasini July 18th, 2005 11:23 AM

www.scenalyzer.com

Wayne S. Collamore July 18th, 2005 01:19 PM

This is a tough crowd.

This is my second post at DVINFO. Maybe I did not ask the question properly. I have done extensive reading of the forums over the last several months. It seems that reading threads here is all I do sometimes. In reviewing all the threads about importing video from cameras into the PC, I still do not have a good feel as to what everyone does as a matter of routine. The tape issue is a bit more nailed down.

All I was trying to do is to get a feel for what everyone does routinely regarding getting camera video into their computer and what tapes people use daily in their VX2100. I am a bit concerned for my new camera based on some threads regarding blown out camera firewire ports and head problems with various tapes.

I guess I will just continue reading and experiment.

Wayne

Mike Rehmus July 18th, 2005 02:32 PM

The best way to learn is to do exactly what you have been doing; reading the forums. Please continue to do so and ask questions when the answers are not clear. That's what we are here for.

Tough crowd? No, I don't think so; we don't try to be. But we cannot guess your intent so we answer the posted questions. It is frustrating when it takes until your third posting to really get down to the core of what your concerns are.

I posted the correct answers to the questions you asked. If you follow that advice, you won't have problems related to those issues. Are there other ways to do it? Sure.

The people who had the problems you cited did the wrong thing or in some cases, unfortunately, were the victims of incorrectly manufactured cables. That all came out in the threads on the subjects.

We like your participation on the forums and understand how hard it is to work your way throught the jargon and confusion. Most of us have undergone the same set of trials to get where we are. And who wants to break their new toy the day they get it, eh?

Bud Younke July 19th, 2005 07:57 PM

I shoot exclusively Sony tapes, and generally use a JVC miniDV cam as the deck, though I also use the vx on occasion for short caps.