Wide Angle Adapter - Page 16 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old December 16th, 2003, 11:21 AM   #226
Regular Crew

Anthony,
Sony's literature on the PD170 says it comes with two lens hoods: one that has a built-in lens cap and which is for the standard lens, and a second specifically for the WA. Were both of these lenses supplied with your camera?
-- Allen
Allen Brodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2003, 11:35 AM   #227
New Boot

Allen - you're quite right - my mistake. When I bought the camera the salesman said he'd been led to believe the camera came with a hood for the wide but that wasn't the case. However, I've just got out the manual and realised there IS a hood for the wide! You have to separate it into two bits - one before fitting the lens - and the other bit goes on afterwards. it's a bit fiddly and I can see why the salesman thought it was simply an alternative for the standard lens - which I thought at the time seemed a bit odd. Thanks for drawing it to my attention - I'm glad to have discovered there's a bit to the camera I hadn't realised. Still frustrating to find the audio problem though - see my other post!
Old December 16th, 2003, 11:54 AM   #228
Regular Crew

Ant,
I saw your other post. Sounds like a manufacturing problem. Since apparently only some PD170s are affected, I would go back to the shop and ask them to exchange it for one without the hiss. They should be willing to do this, especially since Sony support has acknowledged the problem.
In any case, thanks for the reply and I hope Sony comes out with a fix for your problem quickly.
-- Allen
Allen Brodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2003, 11:57 AM   #229
New Boot

Thanks Allen - unfortunately Visual Impact say they won't do this - refering the matter to Sony Silver Service support... maybe I should push them but I'm not quite sure where I stand?
Old December 16th, 2003, 01:07 PM   #230
Major Player

AAAAArghhh!

Shawn Mielke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2003, 03:35 AM   #231
Major Player

Yes the pd170 has a bundled hood for the wide angle adaptor. Any one got this?

Bryan Beasleigh,
1. how much is that nifty-looking mattebox from cavision?
2. How much better is the cavision sunshade compared to the petal-shade that came with the WD58 wide adaptor? ...and is it universal ie. able to use with/out other adaptors?
Kevin Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2003, 08:05 AM   #232
Major Player

The lens hood we speak of available here:

http://www.expandore.com/e_shop/Sony/DSRPD150P_accessories.htm

(I assume thats only for use with the sony lens.)
Kevin Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2004, 02:34 PM   #233
Trustee

TecPro Wide Angle Lenses

I've been considering the TecPro 0.5X "S" model.
Does this one lose sharpness at full zoom.
They also make a 0.5X "Z". Anyone know anything
about the Z? How bad is the vignetting?
I have the Optex 0.65X and I'm wondering if
the TecPros would give a noticably wider
view.
Any other zoom-through wides I should
be looking at? How about Schneider?
Who distributes Schneiders?

http://www.camerafilters.co.uk/clien...geIndex/ID309/
Dave Largent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2004, 08:50 AM   #234
Inner Circle

Never heard of TecPro, I didn't know Schenider made lens attachments. Filters yes, attachments no, I didn't know.

I stated before that I have both the KenkoPro and the Century Optics .65 WA and honestly, I have never noticed any vignetteing with either lens attachment at either end of the zoom. What I have noticed lately though is the KenkoPro is going a little soft when I'm zoomed all the way in. This I believe has way more to do with the fact that it has taken a fall to the floor recently than quality of the product. AAMOF, for the last 2 years I have used that lens more than the CO as my primary WA and haven't had any problems. Now when I use it, I just don't zoom all the way in. Never really did anyway.

I'm sorry I can't help on the other products,
Good Luck,
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2004, 02:05 PM   #235
Trustee

It should be noted that the linked distributor's
site is at odds with both the manufacturer's site
and also with what I've heard from a US distributor
regarding the "Z" model. The linked site says that
the Z is without "any vignetting".
The manufcturer's site says the Z has
"slight vignetting at widest".
A US distributor has related to me
that the Z vignetting "would be visible
on all TVs".
So I don't really know what to think. I'm
hoping someone with the Z will step forward.

Regarding the Schneider, it may -- from what
I can gather -- be just a single element lens,
which would mean it's not zoom through.
I'm looking for a zoom through.
Old April 4th, 2004, 06:09 PM   #236
Regular Crew

Maximum wide angle?

Does anyone know the difference, if any, between the widest angle on a DVX100 to the wide angle lens that comes with the PD170? Which one is wider and how much?

Ray
Ray Saavedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2004, 08:35 AM   #237
Inner Circle

Let's talk numbers Ray. Both cameras have 1/3" chips and so the focal lengths can be directly compared. The Sony has a minimum focal length of 6mm, whereas the Panasonic goes down to 4.5mm.

In 35mm still camera terms it's like having a 45mm lens or a 32.5mm lens on your camera - so the Panasonic sees a lot wider than the Sony.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2004, 08:46 AM   #238
Inner Circle

OK Dave, if you're looking for a zoom-through, forget the single element widies. I have 4 of them, and you can zoom to very nearly half way on the VX2k - but if you want to go all the way you'll need a multi-element wide-angle converter.

I also have the Tecpro 0.5s and very good it is too. It's bitingly sharp at all focal lengths and very good value indeed. It comes apart to leave you with a very powerful close-up lens. The front element is well coated and is concave, which is unusual.

There's not the slightest hint of vignetting, even when screwed to my 58mm skylight filter, and when inspecting the full frame on the PC. The lens distorts straight lines pretty severly at the wide end, though this may bother you less than it does me. The 0.5X will give a noticeably wider view than your 0.65x.

If you go here:
http://www.fortvir.net/index.php
and click on tom's photo album you'll see the Tecpro in action against other lenses.

The vignetting on the other Tecpro 0.5x lens is only visible on the full frame, and on TVs it will never be seen. But it bothers me because all stills to memory stick have to be cropped - robbing you of wide-angle coverage for which you've paid.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2004, 11:42 AM   #239
Trustee

Tom, how is it you know about the other TecPro, the
Z model? I wrote to the manufacturer but they
never did get back to me. Supposedly the Z has
less distortion than the S model. When I inquired
about the Z with the US distributor I was told
they only distribute the S because the Z will
show vignetting on all TVs and no videographer
would want that.
Also interesting to note is that the S is described
as giving a 49% increase in image view and the
Z is described as giving a 70% increase -- and
they are both called "0.5X" wides.
I'm tempted to take a chance with the Z.
Do you know from using the Z yourself
that the vignetting would not be seen on
a TV?
And could you tell me more about that Aspheron
with the VX? Is that the Schneider you've sometimes
referred to?
Old April 6th, 2004, 01:38 PM   #240
Inner Circle

I have the Tecpro catalogue in front of me and it's chock full of mistakes and contradictions, so when I bought the lens I shot pictures through it first, opened them in Photoshop and then decided.

There's a lot of badge engineering goes on in this field, and the Tecpro 0.5 Z looks to me very like the Cavision 0.5x. I had one of those (in fact I had 4 looking for a good one) and they all vignetted the corners of the full frame. Not visible on TV at all, and my guess is the dealers are being paranoid.

Tell you more about the Aspheron? Well, it is without doubt the very best wide-angle converter you can buy. But it comes with an 85mm attachment thread, so you have to get converter rings made up. It's made by Bolex in Switzerland and costs a great deal of money. It's extremely powerful and has zero barrel distortion.

Yes, that's the Schneider UWL that I've referred to a few times. It's a poor man's Aspheron, because they were all uncoated. Almost useless out in the sunshine.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion