Wide Angle Adapter - Page 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old April 21st, 2003, 11:06 AM   #121
Trustee

I posted prices and info for Cavision in great detail about 7 posts into this thread. Links, options, prices , the whole 9 yards.

The 3x3 sunshade pricing is as I mentioned above.

The 4x4 rotating filterholder is $445 complete with adapters for the Optex and the 58mm standard. I wouldn't trust a 3x3 filter on a 82mm thread (3"=76mm).

You could buy the plain sunshade and install a thin stepping ring 82mm to 86mm and buy 86mm filters. Stacked 82mm filters will vignette.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2003, 11:56 AM   #122
Wrangler

Quote:
Does anyone have suggestion on a uv or polorizer I should get
As I mentioned in an earlier post, the Optex will vignette with a standard-sized UV filter in front. Look for a "slim line," and even then, run tests to make sure you're okay. I have a "slim line" polarizer, but haven't yet had a chance to try it out with the Optex.
Paul Tauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2003, 10:03 AM   #123
Regular Crew

My lense came in this morning. Its seems awful hard to lock lense tho. Is this normal. I wouldn't want to break anything.
Charles French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2003, 11:09 AM   #124
Wrangler

There's a little bit of a trick to it. Once the bayonet mount is locked, you need to rotate the lens to "cinch" it in place. If it's too hard to lock, try rotating the lens in the other direction.
Old April 22nd, 2003, 11:26 AM   #125
Regular Crew

Boy that was easy enough! I didnt get the sunshade and not having any luck getting a reply from cavision. I'm afraid I'm goin to scratch my lense somehow. I'm videoing my sons ballgame today. How should i care for and clean this lense? Dust etc. I've been trying to find a slim line uv filter so I have no protection for the lense.
Old April 22nd, 2003, 11:47 AM   #126
Wrangler

I use a microfiber cloth to clean the lens. Standard lens tissue should work well, too. Do _not_ use regular tissues, as they can scratch the lens surface. I also avoid liquid lens cleaners. I don't know if this is true anymore, but when I started in photography 200 years ago, liquid cleaners could remove the coating on coated lenses (and all good lenses are coated).

B&H sells slim-line filters.
Old April 22nd, 2003, 02:15 PM   #127
Regular Crew

Oh No, It's me again. I'm not stupid jes ignert. Could someone tell me what size filters I need for the Optex WA. Also, I'm not sure about sunshade. I checked with cavision and with the hood and step down ring and this and that it looks like I'd be just as well off with the hood that optex offers and what the heck is a mattebox anyway. This darn camera is gonna break me!
Old April 22nd, 2003, 04:44 PM   #128
Major Player

Yeah, Charles, you can go broke if you have a bad case of "igottahaveit-itis," which is very common among new camera owners, and not at all unlike "penis envy." It looks like you may just have a slight touch of this virus, since you are realizing that a mattebox may be overkill for your purposes. To get additional help, contact Cavision direct at 604-681-6621, and ask for John Anthony. He is quite helpful and should be able to hook you up with what you need.

There is a growing community of shooters who are abandoning their filters for software "filters," which allow you to make creative decisions at your leisure, and more importantly, change your mind. Other than a polarizer, which has its own problems, virtually any look you will get with hard filters can be duplicated in post. And remember, if you pan with a polarizer on your camera, it can affect your exposure dramatically. That is, assuming you are getting any effect from the filter in the first place.

UV filter for protection? If it makes you feel better, go for it. Do get the microfiber cleaning cloth that was mentioned earlier.

If it was easy, they'd get a relative to do it.
Wayne Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2003, 07:00 PM   #129
Regular Crew

Thanks Wayne, I needed that, it all makes lots of sense. I never meant to spend no where near as much money as I did on this camera. It's so easy to get caught up in the moment and go to thinking I needed so much. Heck I don't know diddly squat bout no camera. These manufacturer's have got us morons figured out. You buy the camera then you need batteries, wide angle lense, filters, tripods that cost 3 times more than the camera lights, xlr adapter , mics etc. No insult to info boards but I'm sure others like me get to reading about ALL the accesories one needs to be really equipped to do what? Altho I've learned a lot reading the different post. I probably would have been better off going to Wal-Mart and buying that $400 camcorder that got me to wanting one in the first place. But the more I read about the different ones the more I thought I needed. So now I'm in a quagmire and probably do need all these accessories to make this camera fully functional.

I always had this dream of doing some documentaries of a few idea's I had. I thought if only I had a camera. Little did I know. After reading what you would actually need to make this dream a reality, I feel like by buying this camera it's kinda like trying to kill a Bear with a BB Gun. What the heck, I've got it know. I guess I'll just have to learn my limitations and do the best I can. But my accessory buying is coming to an end shortly. Just a couple more things and I'm done and I'm not paying more for a tripod than I did for the camera and that's that.

This board is a wealth of information. Who's know's thanks to people like me someone might get a great deal on some camera and accessories one of these days, hehaw. That is if I don't make it to the Big Screen.

Charles "Goin For Broke" French
Old April 22nd, 2003, 10:13 PM   #130
Regular Crew

SONY VCL-MHG07 / VCL-0752H Wide angle lenses

I made search on this Info Net about SONY wide angle lenses VCL-MHG07 and VCL-0752H.
I did not found any post about any of them. Please do not hash me or close my post if I'm wrong.

My question is: Do anybody know what is the different between them?
I did read somewhere about VCL-0752 that has dark corners if is used on VX2000, but I don’t know what I will gain if I will purchase VCL-MHG07 wide angle lens.
Please if somebody has experience about these lenses, let me know.
Peter Kulka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2003, 12:51 PM   #131
Regular Crew

Cavision just sent me a price for a clear glass filter for the optex $60.00 WOW !!
Old April 23rd, 2003, 01:05 PM   #132
Wrangler

Charles,

Always remember the quality of any production is determined by its content, not the equipment used to create it. A good story, told well, by a person with a $400 camera is far better than a poor story told on an IMAX screen and costing millions.

Don't wait to get the equipment you need, start shooting. If you are good, the money will come somehow.

Watch Genghis Blues. Shot on Hi-8 in Tuva without very much equipment at all. A Sundance winner. Or Blood, Guts, Bullets, and Octane. Shot here in Fairfield, CA on a GL1 for $7000 total cost. Shown at Sundance and distributed to theaters by Tom Cruse' distribution company. (That guy went on to direct 'Narc' and is now directing Harrison Ford in his next movie so I'm told)

As my teachers told me, "Its the story, stupid!"

So go create something. Even a one-minute short on your wife's roses.
Old April 23rd, 2003, 08:03 PM   #133
Major Player

I have the VCL-0752H and I get vignetting at wide angle. which is fixed by adjusting the lens a little to the telephoto. The results are wider than the stock lens, but not as wide as full capacity of the lens.
Old April 23rd, 2003, 08:24 PM   #134
Wrangler

I have a VX-2000 and use a Sony VCL-HG0758 lens. Note the number is a little different than the other which was mentioned. This lens seems to have excellent optical quality; I did some resolution tests and couldn't see any difference when adding the wide adaptor. There is no vignetting with this lens.

So what is the difference? I got mine around October, 2001. Has my model been discontinued? Seems to me this was discussed earlier and someone asserted the lens was made by Kenko (I think) for Sony. Interestingly, there's sort of a rubber "donut" at the front of the lens if you look closely. This actually has the focal length and model number printed on it. If you roll this donut off you end up with a totally black lens housing devoid of any markings.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2003, 08:53 AM   #135
Inner Circle

Sony includes the magnification power of the lens along with the attachment thread diameter in the model numbers. So an 0752 is a 0.7x wide-angle with a 52mm thread (for the TRV900) and a 2030 is a 2x telephoto converter with a 30mm diameter thread for something poofy like a TRV33.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion