Beware of these VX-1000, 2000, 2100 eBay auctions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old August 3rd, 2005, 09:58 PM   #1
Tourist

Beware of these VX-1000, 2000, 2100 eBay auctions

In my quest for a Sony VX camcorder on ebay (started out looking for a cheap analog VX-3, then a moderate VX-1000, wound up with an expensive VX-2000) I came across a guy who repeatedly posts scam auctions for VX-1000s and 2000s. I first realized it was a scam because I recognized the pictures from someone else's previous auction.

I've noticed that as fast as ebay kicks him off the guy is still creating new ebay IDs and posting new auctions.

The seller always has the words FIRST BIDDER IS THE WINNER in his auction title. This in and of itself isn't allowed on ebay (the auction isn't Buy It Now). The seller always has zero feedback, his ID has usually been created that day, and the selling price is always suspiciously low ($699, $799).
Eric Skovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2005, 06:37 AM   #2
Major Player

eBay is notorious for having dozens of scam auctions involving Prosumer and Professional cameras..

A few tips to spot the fake from the real:

1. Check the sellers feedback.. not everyone with a low feedback is a scammer, but someone with good feedback is more likely to be for real. Beware someone who suddenly lists a big auction after 2 years of inactivity of selling cheap junk.. most likely a hacked account. Always follow the links of feedbacks, some people setup auctions just to boost their feedback.

2. Check the country its located in, some people will list two.. never a good sign!

3. Offers to end the auction early? Asks you to contact via a different email address? Very suss!

4. Stock photography and website descriptions of the cameras? Hmmm. Would someone selling a PD150 have so little knowledge about it they can't offer even a few words of their own? Also people selling just the camera.. most people own something to go with it.. extra batteries, filters, adapters etc.. if its been used for production, its unlikely it'll be just a camera for sale.

5. Does it look too good to be true? It probably is.
James Connors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2005, 09:10 AM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

In addition to those great tips from James, be sure to see our article "How to Not Get Scammed on Ebay" by Dylan Couper:

http://www.dvinfo.net/articles/buyersguide/ebay.php

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2005, 08:05 AM   #4
Major Player

This message is good one to put out there.. I see these cheap cameras all the time and I am a bit leary.. I myself took a jump into a purchase a while ago, while it turned out to be perfectly fine I was sweating bullets the minute I PayPal'd the $3000.. GULP..

It was for A Sony PD-150 with all original accessories, two batteries, thermodyne hardcase, manfrotto tripod and fluid head, .65 Century Optics Wide Angle, Century Extreme Fish Eye, Century Telephoto Convertor and Century 16:9 convertor lens and professionally services and cleaned by manufacturer.

So I am thinking to myself this is a good deal, the lenses alone are worth the price. Then I started thinking oh crap too good to be true.. Man what did I just do, looking at other auctions with some or not any accessories was $2500-$3000.. So now I am really nervous..

Well good news, seller shipped next day air, fully insured and everything was exactly as described, turned out the seller actually was from a reputable independent film company and sent me a copy of the movie they shot on the PD-150.. Whew! P.S. the camera had low hours as well.. So this is truly a transaction that eBay is supposed to be about.

Back on topic, if you use paypal there is a way to get your money back.. Never pay from your bank account always use your credit card as the payment source.. If it doesn't arrive as described or not at all and the transaction was not protected by PayPal.. Not to worry, make a quick call to your visa company and they give you the money back and start a fraud investigation on your behalf against the seller.. So they recommended always use your CC when using paypal.

Of course, this can work two ways if you are the seller and someone does this too you and you ship everything that would suck.. I'm not sure what happens to the transaction once your CC reverses the charges.. I never have received any notice from paypal. But then again it was for $35 and the seller never shipped nor responded.. 3 weeks went by and it was time to take action..
Pat Sherman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion