DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   Shoot in the Bahamas 11/14 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/4909-shoot-bahamas-11-14-a.html)

Dan Eggleston November 13th, 2002 02:42 PM

Shoot in the Bahamas 11/14

Hello all,

I am going on a junket for a small charter airline tomorrow morning to the Florida Keys and then on to Nassau, Bahamas. I have the option of taking a DSR-300 or a PD-150. I am leaning toward the PD-150 because the plane is a smaller twin engine prop and I am traveling alone. However, audio might be easier to handle with the 300. I'm not too worried about video as the PD-150 looks real nice most of the time.

I use a VX-2000 at home and the DSR-300 at work but have only used this PD-150 for a shoot once. My question is about the "WIND" option in the audio settings. I plan on using a Samson VHF (YUCK!) wireless unit for a lav. I noticed when I last used this camera with a hard-wired Sony ECM-50 the audio sounded a little thin or tinny. I went through the camera menu and found the WIND feature selected to ON. Am I correct in assuming that this effects the low frequeny response on a microphone? I was planning on turning this feature off, but I thought I'd ask the experts first! How about steady shot? I hope to be on a Tripod most of the time. Thanks in advance...

Dan

Guest November 13th, 2002 10:24 PM

How much bigger comparing DSR-300 and PD150? PD150 was suprizingly small so maybe, DSR-300 would be light/small enough to hold in my arm and do un-intrusive recording of live rock show from the front row.

Mike Rehmus November 13th, 2002 11:11 PM

I would prefer the DSR-300 for a lot of reasons. Easier audio control (and better audio) would be just one of them. Better image processing in the very bright sun would be another.

Furthermore, unless you are familiar with the 150, it can be a bit tricky to set up although you are comfortable with the 2000 so you have a leg up. You are advised to take the manual along.

Your familiarity with the 300 would decide it for me.

But it is a whole lot more gear to lug.

The wind selection does cut in a high-pass filter and it does kill the low-end. I'd go with a wind sock and no filter. You can always filter in post if you have to.

One more item. Make certain the Noise Reduction menu item is set to off or you will wonder why the sound has a ring to it.

Dan Eggleston November 14th, 2002 10:18 PM

Went pretty well

Thanks for your response, Mike.

First, for Ragady...the DSR-300 is almost as large in size as a typical ENG camera, so it is considerably larger than a PD-150 however it is lighter than most ENG rigs especially with the lithium batteries. They also come with a WAY bigger price tag.

The shoot went well. I ended up using the 150 and was glad I did! Another news crew went along, and the videographer was suffering! Big ole' Anton-Bauers, plus he had to carry fresh ones. He also struggled getting shots in the aircraft and limousine we were in. For me, I wish I had a lectrosonics RF cube for a hand held mic but made due with old fashioned XLR cable. I went with a wind screen on the HH and 'Wind' feature turned off.

I would have been more comfortable "running and gunning" with the 300 but after settling in I was very happy with the 150. Audio turned out great and my back and shoulder aren't killing me LOL. I agree though, Mike...even as the video looks nice, the 300 probably would have looked that much better in the intense sunlight.

One interesting side note from an experience point of view...while interviewing the Mayor of the Florida Keys, he pointed out an old bi-plane on the tarmac. He explained to me that it was the plane used by Cuban nationals who defected to the United States on November 11. Apparently the plane is 50 years old and they saved stipens of fuel for the past 2 years to make the flight. Pretty amazing.

Thanks again for your response, Mike.

Dan

Mike Rehmus November 15th, 2002 05:45 PM

Is now the time where I confess that I use a PD-150 or an even smaller DV camera when I have to jump in and out of police cars? I just about mangled my EVW-300 (back when I used it) trying to get a straight shot out of the windshield. Sideways was impossible.

I think the guys taping the TV show, COPS, use on-the-shoulder cameras. I don't know how they get the interviews inside the car of the cop du-jour with the car in motion.

I didn't understand from your original post that you would be shooting from within the plane and car.

BTW, after a long day of shooting handlheld with the 150 my back hurts worse than if I'd used the 300. Or maybe just in a different place.

Did you get shots of the biplane?

Dan Eggleston November 18th, 2002 06:34 AM

Yes, I did get shots of the bi-plane. However, they were from about 80 yards away :-(