The Same Tape Cartridge on 2 Camcorders? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old March 15th, 2011, 08:53 PM   #1
Regular Crew

The Same Tape Cartridge on 2 Camcorders?

Hi Folks,

I have a PD170 thanks to the good folks here. What an amazing low light surveillance unit.
I also have a Panasonic PV-GS500.

Both camcorders use MiniDV tapes. I have been wondering if when on a detail using the Panasonic in good light and then needing the low light capabilities of the Sony if I could move the tape from one camcorder to the other and continue without rewinding or causing other unforeseen problems?

Thanks again to all who helped me funnel to the PD-170.
Old March 15th, 2011, 09:17 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: The Same Tape Cartridge on 2 Camcorders?

Althought I hate doing that there have been a few times in the past when I've pulled a partial tape from one of my 170s and dropped it into a little JVC 1 chipper. I've never gone the other way. There really wasn't any problem in loading the tape but of course you could see the difference in the quality of the footage.
I would guess you would have the same issue but should be fine as far as doing it. Other than a timecode thing is there any reason you would need to do that?
Old March 15th, 2011, 11:10 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks,

I am a PI and the work flow would be greatly streamlined keeping the events of the day on the same tape. It would also save me on tapes. Video quality is not that critical in this line of work if you know what I mean. The time stamps would be close enough.

Is the difference in the video quality the only thing you dislike about it?
Old March 16th, 2011, 05:14 AM   #4
Inner Circle

yeah other than the fact that I have a mind meld about doing it but it's really the quality difference that does it.
Old March 16th, 2011, 06:52 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks,

It will be nice to XFR from a single tape to DVD. And if it goes to court where it has to be on the original media it will be a smoother operation to do the playback.
Now to decide which camera to XFR from. Being the PD170 burns the time stamp into the tape I'll most likely XFR with the Panasonic.

Thanks Again

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion