Blue vertical lines!!! HELP! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old August 22nd, 2005, 07:59 PM   #1
Tourist

Blue vertical lines!!! HELP!

Hello,
I have a pd150 and have only 130hours of shooting on it. Last week, as i was shooting, some blue and green lines appered in semi-transparency on top of the images. The problem was transfered to the tape so it is not the LCD screen. A couple of hours later the trouble was gone. Today, as soon as I turned it on the Blue lines appered again. No more green ones. The problen was modified a bit though; imagine I had been filming a skyline, well all the buildings were under-exposed and the rest was blue. These are vertical thick lines that go from the top to the bottom of the frame.
Has this ever happened to any of you or did you ever hear of something similar.
Please help me if you can, the technician says it might be the prism although he has never seen one do such a thing...

I am in the middle of a shooting, so it pretty much worries me...

Thank you for taking the time to read this.
Riva
Riva Khanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2005, 08:07 PM   #2
Wrangler

Sounds like a CCD or image processing chain problem. Clearly that camera is not going to be used on a shoot until it makes a trip to Sony. I'd send it to Sony because if it is a CCD block, they may replace it under warranty and only charge you for labor. They have done that for a fellow in Indonesia if IIRC within the last year.
Old August 23rd, 2005, 06:49 AM   #3
Tourist

Thanks for the tip !
Riva Khanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2005, 01:35 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Odd Lines...

I had a similar problem with my PD150 a couple of months ago. I use it as part of a steadicam JR rig and at one location, I experienced some vertical lines. The JR monitor suffers from this and so I put it down to that until I reviewed the rushes - the lines were there on the tape. I then tested the whole camera with and without JR and all was fine. However, when I returned to the location to reshoot the steadicam stuff, the lines reappeared!
When I got home, I tryed the rig again - no problems, so everything was fine everywhere except that location!

The only thing I can think of is that there were a number of overhead power lines at the location and they caused some form of interference... I did read somewhere that power lines can cause problems with optical steadyshot switched on...

Anyone else got any ideas, because it had me baffled - the kit's worked fine ever since.

Graham
www.mediainventions.com
Graham Risdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2005, 03:55 PM   #5
Wrangler

The PD150/2100/170/2000 all suffer from external electrical interference. Radios are the real culprit. Even a cell phone held next to a camera can generate problems. Get near a police radio and listen/feel your SteadyShot hit so hard, it shakes the camera.

I've never had image artifacts other than the steadyshot except around unshielded automotive ignition systems.
Old August 26th, 2005, 02:57 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Artefacts

Hi Mike

What artefacts do you get with auto ignitions - just the usual random static?
No vertical lines?
Thanks

Graham
Old August 26th, 2005, 04:06 PM   #7
Wrangler

It depends on the ignition system. I've gotten little white traces that follow the secondary ignition cables (very strange that) and general video noise and heavy hits on the sound recording if I used an microphone anywhere close to the source. For straight vertical lines to develop, I'd expect the noise source to be somewhat syncronized to the camera clock. Horizontal lines don't have to have synchronous sources.

I've been told but I haven't experienced it myself that neon signs and lights can effect these cameras.

These cameras have very little shielding and they use low-power electronics which means their internal signal amplitudes are quite small. It is a bad combination when the cameras are around any kind of electrical interference.

I first learned of this when I'd sent my 150 into Sony and they couldn't find a problem. I'd be out riding with the Police and the camera would jump in my hands. The second time I sent it in, they gave me a new one.

Simultaneously with the second trip to Atlanta, a CNN cameraman in LA said that riding in Police cars with a 150 was a whole new experience when the OIS would slam into the stops so hard it shook the camera and you could hear it in the sound.

The solution in that case is to turn the OIS off. Just what you want when filming events in the dark!
Old August 27th, 2005, 01:12 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks Mike
I guess the idea of sync with the camera producing vertical lines could possibly suggest overhead power lines as it's transmitted at 50 Hz (the PAL scan rate)?

Does this make sense or is it a case of a little knowledge is dangerous? ;-)

Graham
Old November 27th, 2006, 03:48 AM   #9
Tourist

Blue Vertical Lines on PD170

I just recently had the same problem with my PD170 (purchased 2nd hand with only 8 hours of running time on it)- started to experience this blueish vetical lines (after only 12 hours of use) or smears from the top and streaking down vertically across the screen. At first I thought it was the bright lights from above (filming in a wedding reception lounge) - but this never used to happen before. Then I noticed my colour balance was out of control and could not adjust it in manual or auto modes.

So in it went for a Sony check and guess what?

Needed the following replacements:
1. New mounted c.board,pwb, cd-512
2. Prism Assembly

Total cost including labour: AUD$780.00

I dont have it back yet. Hope to have it back next few days and hope its running by the weekend. Fortunately its only a back-up camera.

--------------

Only 2 weeks ago - I had the Stabilising unit changed on my Canon XL2 - prior to that I started to experience slight flickers or twitches in the footage - more prominent when I was zoomed in and trying to hold a steady shot with the Stabilizer on - that was another AUD$800.00

---------------

Heres a question for you all - how sensitive are these cameras to shock and movement - being a (busy) wedding videographer - one can appreciate the workout we do during a wedding day shoot - and the occasional running and jumping in the car between location shoots and camera on the shoulder. Are these cameras designed to be used in gentle carm conditions only - what could of caused the problems to both my cameras one after the other?

Regards
ColorWiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riva Khanna
Hello,
I have a pd150 and have only 130hours of shooting on it. Last week, as i was shooting, some blue and green lines appered in semi-transparency on top of the images. The problem was transfered to the tape so it is not the LCD screen. A couple of hours later the trouble was gone. Today, as soon as I turned it on the Blue lines appered again. No more green ones. The problen was modified a bit though; imagine I had been filming a skyline, well all the buildings were under-exposed and the rest was blue. These are vertical thick lines that go from the top to the bottom of the frame.
Has this ever happened to any of you or did you ever hear of something similar.
Please help me if you can, the technician says it might be the prism although he has never seen one do such a thing...

I am in the middle of a shooting, so it pretty much worries me...

Thank you for taking the time to read this.
Riva
John Poulakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2006, 09:03 AM   #10
Wrangler

The Sony camera is very rugged. I cannot speak for the Canon.

I use it for weddings and SWAT team work with no problems.
Old January 11th, 2007, 04:56 PM   #11
Regular Crew

RECALL...image sensor CCD issue with Sony cameras!

I have had these issues with my vx2100 camera. blue and green lines transparent on the image (gets recorded to tape that way as well). I called Sony and they just informed me there is a recall on this issue because of a settlement. They assured me that this issue would be fixed along with any other issues i have with the camera for no charge. they even pay for the shipping both ways...telling me 7-10 business days.

there are many cameras listed that they have under this recall. just letting you know.

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...id_legalnotice
Jay Voog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 05:09 PM   #12
Regular Crew

sorry.

I just noticed there is another thread about this issue, and this is basically old news. but i just encountered the issue with my camera, so hopefully this can help others.

just wanted to make sure everyone could take advantage of this recall.
Jay Voog is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion