PD170 & Canopus C110 Fire Wire Issues at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old November 18th, 2011, 08:42 PM   #1
Regular Crew

PD170 & Canopus C110 Fire Wire Issues

Hi,
I'm fustrated guys,

I have this in and out issue where I'll hook it all up and go fine. And then sometimes it will not see the camera and keep swapping to Analog.

So I fiddle, connect, reconnect, go to device manager and scan for new devices and this and that and sometimes it will work and sometimes I have to resort to Windows Movie Maker/ Photo Gallery. UGH!

So tonight I get it to work and looking at the Canopus C110 the Analog light is on. Mercy, always something. How is it transferring analog via the fire-wire?

I am a tad new and am sure there is some sequence I am doing wrong so I hope you can help me.

I am running a very stable & clean home build PC on Windows 7 Pro x64.
Sony Vegas Pro 10d build (670).
Sony PD170
Fire-wire from the Canopus to the PC / From the PD170 to the Canopus.

I know the cams fire-wire is OK because Windows movie maker will see it and take on the files.

Talk To Me
Old November 18th, 2011, 09:39 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: PD170 & Canopus C110 Fire Wire Issues

Forgive me for asking but why not just install a simple Firewire card ($20 to $30) and not use the Canopus card. that should eliminate the problem for you forever. I've been capturing from the same standard 3 port FW card for about 10 or 11 years now including from a VX1000, PD150, Pd170, JVC 1 chipper, JVC5000U, SonyDSR250, DSR500, JVC HD100, with out any problems. If the cameras got a FW port I can capture it.
Seems to me to be the easiest and least expensive fix.
Old November 18th, 2011, 10:13 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Oh I forgive you for sure. Forgiving myself for being so blind is the problem
I will try it. I do have a Koutech model 1314, 3+1 Port FireWire/1394b & 1394a PCI Host Controller card in the machine that the Canopus is plugged into.

I got the Canopus as a gift and originally felt I needed it so I could go into it from my Panasonic GS500 via S-Video and keep my time stamp. I guess the Canopus is a over qualified S-Video interface eh? It does work great though.

So I guess got tunnel vision focused on just using the Canopus for all and fell into a stupid over complication trap I guess.
Its Late so I'll report back tomorrow how your suggestion worked. I bet it fires right up. Ugh!

Thanks!
Old November 21st, 2011, 01:48 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thank you my issue seems solved. I was wondering why a Sony PD170 had problems being controlled by Sony Vegas.

I'll have to run it a few sessions before I am completely satisfied but I am confident you were correct in making me aware I am over complicating things.

Thanks, You guys are great.
Old November 27th, 2011, 10:39 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Well I'm back and have to report the direct fire-wire connection that seemed to be the fix it did not hold or prove consistent and did not let the software control the camera when it did capture.

So I again stroked the help files and the prompt in the video capture window that pops up that says "Need Help?" had my solution.

It said try the "Microsoft DV Cam and VCR" drivers from the Video Menu. So I looked and this was not the default selection so I chose it and BAM!

I reverted back to the Canopus ADVC 110 box because I like the conveniences of not having a cable from the back of the case dangling just to name one. The Canopus is basically a pass through but eliminating it was a good troubleshooting suggestion. I have it there for S-Video connection cams anyway so......

Before when it would manage to capture the software never controlled the camera functions mandating I use the cameras buttons or remote to rewind/fast forward/play/pause/etc.

Now even passing through the Canopus ADVC 110 it works like a Sony Camera interfaced to a Sony software product should.

Thanks Again Guys,

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion