Audio Problems! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old November 21st, 2002, 08:04 AM   #1
TSI Legal Video

Audio Problems!

I have had months of trouble and I can't find the answer from any video/audio person!! I have a VX2000 and a Studio One XLR adapter on the bottom
Equipment specs: Studio One Adapter (2 XLR inputs with options of mic/line in; ground 1 or 2; auxillary power 1 and 2; STEREO or MONO; and volume control. Wireless Mics: (Audio Technica UHF, multi channel, ATWR73 Synthesized Diversity Receiver UHF); The receivers have AF Out Balanced XLR jacks (also AF out unbalanced 1/4" plug that I don't use). It also has a ground and ground lift switch that is always on ground since I haven't ever moved them. There is a squelch adjustment that I've never used either! Wired Mics: (Sony 55B). I use XLR cables from the mics in to the adapter.
I usually use the stereo setting on the Studio One adapter (not sure why but others have said to use mono). The volume levels on the Studio One are set at 7 or 8 but lately use maximum at 10. I use the manual audio control on the VX2000 to adjust the recording level in the camcorder. (partly because of the audio gain problem I've heard about that I don't understand) Someone just told me they didn't think the manual setting worked with the adapter. Any input here?? I use 12 bit (since I don't know the difference between 16 bit and 12). The wireless mic receivers have volume set around 7 or 8.
Now, after I record I have to make copies. In my studio I play the DV on my Sony GVD900 mini DV VCR and output to the Videonics MX1 video mixer then out to a distribution amp and onto Sony VCR(s). My finished VHS copy has hardly any sound left. I tore my studio apart and replaced cables, etc. Even went directly from the GVD900 to a VCR and still have the problem. Now when playing on the GVD900 I have a couple of options. Stereo or 1 or 2 and then adjusting the mix of the audio. I've played with this and don't understand what I'm doing or why. There is a difference in the sound level though. One thing I did notice... when observing the meters on the VCR only the left channel seems to be coming out louder.

PLEASE HELP ME!!! I guess I have a couple of questions - Should I record with stereo or mono? Can I use the manual audio mix on the VX2000 with the adapter? What do I set the GVD900 to? I can't tell through the headphones that I have a low audio problem since the volume setting on the VX2000 lets me increase the volume on the headphones and doesn't necessarily tell me what the recording sounds like?
Old November 21st, 2002, 03:02 PM   #2
Major Player

First of all, if you don't intend to add (dub) a second stereo channel on yr DV tape go for 16 bit in the future. You will get better sound quality and none of those "1 or 2" channel problems if you just set yr VCR to "stereo"(default setting). Now that you (unfortunately) have 12 bit footage you should know that this 12 bit tape has room for another channel (which stays blank in your case because you didn't dub any extra sound on it). If you now (in this 12bit situation) select stereo, you will get the sound you recorded and the sound which is left blank summed up. If these two sources are mixed 50/50 you'l endup with a 50% sound level (100%+0%) unless you set the "balance" fully to st1(recorded 12 bit channel). Keep in mind the "balance" setting is not a (L/R)stereo balance setting but a balance setting between the two (one in yr case) 12bit channels. The easyest way for you is setting yr 900 to st1 which give you 100% of what you recorded. On st2 you will not get any sound in yr case. In yr future 16 bit audio recordings you can also set (for special dual sound application) the sound recorded by the left mike input to both RCA outputs (L&R) by chosing st1, or just the right mike channel by chosing st2
Hope this helps.
Andre De Clercq is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion