DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   High Contrast Resolution VX2000 and GL2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/5078-high-contrast-resolution-vx2000-gl2.html)

Dennis Hull November 22nd, 2002 01:58 PM

High Contrast Resolution VX2000 and GL2

Per other post did pre-purchase comparison shot at camera store for VX2000 and GL2 compared to my old TRV 9 single CCD. At one time bright sun broke through clouds and selectively shone on pastel yellow/orange restaurant with surrounding area still in cloudy light. Both 3 CCD cameras seemed to have trouble getting sharp focus on sunlit restaurant (both better than TRV 9 however)while cars in "cloud lit" parking lot were in sharp focus. Saw this when viewing on same TV using Y/C. I have read articles saying newer DV camcorders with smaller CCD's not as good in high contrast situations as "old" consumer analog camcorders with larger CCD. Did I just see a dramatic example of that ?? In that regard, would the VX2000 have a subtle advantage vs GL2 just because of larger CCDs (could not see an obvious difference between GL2/VX2000 in this case). All camcorders were left in full auto (except ND filters used when prompted by camcorder). When I buy either the GL2 or VX2000 are there manual settings where I could have gotten both bright sun area and cloudy sun areas in sharp focus or will I need to choose which area I want in sharp focus?? Still viewing tapes but no huge differences noted so far between GL2 and VX2000 other than gray lines in GL2 in low light shooting (see post in GL2 forum).

Chris Hurd November 22nd, 2002 02:29 PM

Older camcorders had a single 1/2 inch CCD, but CCD technology was much inferior then compared to today. Other factors affect this as well: the Sony VX3 at 1/3 inch had a better image than the Canon L2 at 1/2 inch. Why? because the VX3 was a 3-chip camera and the L2 was a single-chip camera.

From my response to you in the GL2 forum: There is actually little physical difference in the size of 1/3 inch CCD's vs. 1/4 inch CCD's and that's pretty much a non-issue (there is, however, a fairly substantial difference between 1/2 inch CCD's and 1/3 inch CCD's). Hope this helps,

Mike Rehmus November 22nd, 2002 03:05 PM

Automatic focus is always a gamble. Usually a gamble that you lose. Manual focus is the way to go almost all of the time.

Dennis Hull November 23rd, 2002 08:12 PM

Thank You Chris and Mike

Thank you for comments. I think I will spend more money (vs B&H) and buy both GL2 and VX2000 from local store that gives 30 day trial, spend time with both, and return one. From all the posts and reviews I have read, the one advantage VX2000 may have over GL2 is low light video so I will first see how big that difference is in my normal house light situations.

Frank Granovski November 23rd, 2002 08:25 PM

>...When I buy either the GL2 or VX2000 are there manual settings where I could have gotten both bright sun area and cloudy sun areas in sharp focus or will I need to choose which area I want in sharp focus??...<

Regarding lighting, it's one or the other, or something in-between. That holds true for almost any cam. Regarding sharp focus, you can get sharp focus with both, at the same time, but getting the right exposure for either or or, is more important. Lighting determines exposure. Bigger CCDs, wider lenses, usually require less lux.