High Contrast Resolution VX2000 and GL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old November 22nd, 2002, 01:58 PM   #1
Regular Crew

High Contrast Resolution VX2000 and GL2

Per other post did pre-purchase comparison shot at camera store for VX2000 and GL2 compared to my old TRV 9 single CCD. At one time bright sun broke through clouds and selectively shone on pastel yellow/orange restaurant with surrounding area still in cloudy light. Both 3 CCD cameras seemed to have trouble getting sharp focus on sunlit restaurant (both better than TRV 9 however)while cars in "cloud lit" parking lot were in sharp focus. Saw this when viewing on same TV using Y/C. I have read articles saying newer DV camcorders with smaller CCD's not as good in high contrast situations as "old" consumer analog camcorders with larger CCD. Did I just see a dramatic example of that ?? In that regard, would the VX2000 have a subtle advantage vs GL2 just because of larger CCDs (could not see an obvious difference between GL2/VX2000 in this case). All camcorders were left in full auto (except ND filters used when prompted by camcorder). When I buy either the GL2 or VX2000 are there manual settings where I could have gotten both bright sun area and cloudy sun areas in sharp focus or will I need to choose which area I want in sharp focus?? Still viewing tapes but no huge differences noted so far between GL2 and VX2000 other than gray lines in GL2 in low light shooting (see post in GL2 forum).
Dennis Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2002, 02:29 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Older camcorders had a single 1/2 inch CCD, but CCD technology was much inferior then compared to today. Other factors affect this as well: the Sony VX3 at 1/3 inch had a better image than the Canon L2 at 1/2 inch. Why? because the VX3 was a 3-chip camera and the L2 was a single-chip camera.

From my response to you in the GL2 forum: There is actually little physical difference in the size of 1/3 inch CCD's vs. 1/4 inch CCD's and that's pretty much a non-issue (there is, however, a fairly substantial difference between 1/2 inch CCD's and 1/3 inch CCD's). Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2002, 03:05 PM   #3
Wrangler

Automatic focus is always a gamble. Usually a gamble that you lose. Manual focus is the way to go almost all of the time.
Old November 23rd, 2002, 08:12 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thank You Chris and Mike

Thank you for comments. I think I will spend more money (vs B&H) and buy both GL2 and VX2000 from local store that gives 30 day trial, spend time with both, and return one. From all the posts and reviews I have read, the one advantage VX2000 may have over GL2 is low light video so I will first see how big that difference is in my normal house light situations.
Dennis Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2002, 08:25 PM   #5
Outer Circle

>...When I buy either the GL2 or VX2000 are there manual settings where I could have gotten both bright sun area and cloudy sun areas in sharp focus or will I need to choose which area I want in sharp focus??...<

Regarding lighting, it's one or the other, or something in-between. That holds true for almost any cam. Regarding sharp focus, you can get sharp focus with both, at the same time, but getting the right exposure for either or or, is more important. Lighting determines exposure. Bigger CCDs, wider lenses, usually require less lux.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion