DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   Buying VX2100 in America. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/50933-buying-vx2100-america.html)

Milosz Krzyzaniak September 12th, 2005 08:57 AM

Buying VX2100 in America.

Hello.

I'm an "Europe guy" and want to purchase the VX2100E (PAL version) in America. My question is will I have any troble dealing with the camcorder's charger? Will it be prepared for 110V/60Hz only or will it handle Europe's 220V/50Hz?

regards

Boyd Ostroff September 12th, 2005 09:28 AM

The charger should be universal and operates between 110-240 volts. The only thing which might be different would be the power cord might be setup for US "edison" parallel blade plugs. However you can get an inexpensive adaptor for that. I looked at the specs for the PAL model (vx2100e) and they indicate the AC-L15 charger which is the same listed for the US model. Also looked on Sony's parts websites, but none of these indicate what kind of plug is included.

Mike Rehmus September 12th, 2005 10:46 AM

You can normally buy a country-specific power cord from Sony (or use one from a product that uses the same charger-end connector).

That's why the power plugs are now removable on most gear. It's cheaper to spend the money for the connector and separate cord than it is to build products for each power distribution system.

Boyd Ostroff September 12th, 2005 11:56 AM

Yeah, for example Apple sells a kit with different connectors that fit their laptop "bricks." However the cost is rather high considering what you get. When I was travelling this summer I just got a plug adaptor kit from Radio Shack and it worked fine.

Mike Rehmus September 12th, 2005 01:12 PM

The equipment-end connector is generally a Internationally approved and registered connector and you can buy them in-country at an electrical shop much cheaper.

James Connors September 13th, 2005 08:28 AM

PAL cams are pretty pricey in the states.. you defo gonna make a saving? Remember you probably won't have an international warranty....

Milosz Krzyzaniak September 13th, 2005 08:39 AM

B&H is still about $500 cheaper than Europe. Anyway I've heard of Japan and Hong-Kong prices that are almost, as they say, half of the rest-of-the-world prices... The problem is I don't have anybody there to check it out.

James Connors September 13th, 2005 08:45 AM

Japan is NTSC from memory so that cost might be for a native cam. HK I think is PAL mind. B&H are cracking, I wish they were local to me!

Mike Rehmus September 13th, 2005 09:26 AM

Japan and Hong Kong are no longer cheap. U.S. prices can sometimes beat them. Japan is NTSC. There is a store in the U.S. that is exclusively PAL and their stuff carries a U.S. warranty. Sorry I don't remember their name, only that they are in New Jersey IIRC.

Milosz Krzyzaniak September 13th, 2005 09:36 AM

B&H provides PAL versions of most of their camcorders, at least for the VX.