Case -Hard or Soft at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old September 13th, 2005, 06:58 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Case -Hard or Soft

I'm looking for a new case for my PD170. Any suggestions? How well do the soft ones hold up?
I know that there is basicly only 1 option for a hard one, but if I went with soft, what do u suggest? I'm trying not to go over $200.
I'm going to be using it traveling here and there alot, maybe even go camping with it.
~Matt~
Matt Ludwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2005, 07:09 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Sony has a decent soft bag for the 170 for 189.95. It comes with a rain cover for the camera as well. B&H #solcpd150bp

As for hard case, I have a Shok-Stop case. Its made for the 150/170 and believe me you can cram a lot of stuff in it. I did (do) a lot of traveling with it and carry the camera, WA lens attachment, wireless receiver, lav and body pak, handhled wireless, 3 batteries, headphones, shotgun on the camera, 10or 12 tapes and a peanut butter and jelly sandwich ;-o

Well maybe not the sandwich but it does carry alot of stuff,but you gotta squeeze some in-no harm though, nothing has ever gotten damaged. I think I paid about $200 for it 4 years ago so I don't know how much it would be now.

Don B
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2005, 07:29 PM   #3
Wrangler

It costs a little more than your budget, but you might check out the Tamrac 644 "strongbox." While it's made for still cameras, I'm using it for my Z1 and really like it.

It looks like a soft case, but there's a rigid ABS plastic tub under the nylon cover which is really sturdy. So you get the advantage of a hard case but it isn't so conspicuous if you're travelling. The interior is completely customizable using velcro divider sections and would hold a lot of stuff in addition to your camera.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2005, 07:43 PM   #4
Regular Crew

any certain feelings about the brand Petrol?
Matt Ludwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2005, 07:46 PM   #5
Wrangler

Those are the people who make the case for Sony. I've got a lot of use out of the one that came with both my PD150's. Can't be beat for the price. Unless you are shipping the camera or on really rugged trails, the hard case is a bit restrictive in one way or another.

Lots of old postings on this very subject. Maybe some on Support Your Local Camera too. Do a search.
Old September 22nd, 2005, 11:07 AM   #6
Major Player

I have a thermodyne hard case for my PD-150 that's all custom fitted for it from them.. Then I have the Petrol Soft/Hard Cube bag/case for the 170.. I am buying another Petrol.. I like it that much better plus the backpack straps are handing for trekking into a site..

B&H
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search
Pat Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2005, 04:13 PM   #7
Major Player

I have the Sony Petrol bag for my PD170 and like it. Like it so much I ordered another similiar Petrol bag for my VX2000.
Very nice case for the money.
Old September 22nd, 2005, 05:47 PM   #8
Regular Crew

The only problem that I have with some of the Sony hard cases is that Sony bought a large number of cases, particularly Thermodyne, back in the ’90s for Betacams, and they continue to custom fit the insides for the newer, smaller, digital cameras. The problem with these cases, besides the fact that they are a lot larger than they need to be, is that they exceed the minimum luggage dimensions for the airlines. Before 911 the airlines would take about anything you gave them. I found this out when I contacted Thermodyne with questions about the case B&H sold for the DSR-250. Nothing against Thermodyne, in my opinion they make some excellent cases.
Jeff Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2005, 07:56 AM   #9
Inner Circle

I'll go along with the thoughts on the Petrol brand of cases. I checked out the tens of cases on display at the Video Forum in central London at the beginning of the year, and the Petrol camera bags were far and away the best value for money in my view.

Just as long as it doesn't say Diesel on it I'll be happy.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2005, 02:03 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Oh Tom....
Anthony Milic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2005, 06:42 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I got a Pelican 1520? hard case for my PD150 and am very pleased. I custom fit it with heavy duty upholstery foam and formed a cloth covering over the cutouts to give pil free finish. It holds my PD150, Sony828 still three batteries for the camcorder, extra cards and battery for the 828 and about 10 DV tapes. No there is no danger of anything not being well protected. Yes, fully losded it is a bit of weight, but it is only one case and easy to look out for. I also got a Pelican lock so the whole thing can be secured if I have to leave it in my car. bike cable throgh the lock and around seat frames.

Highly recommend a hard case for travel. A soft case might do well for day tripping.

Martin
Martin Archer-Shee is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion