Just got a vx21000, what brand of tapes should I use? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old September 28th, 2005, 08:45 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Just got a vx21000, what brand of tapes should I use?

I just bought a brand new VX2100, since this is a new cam the brand of MiniDV tape I choose now I would have to stick with for the rest of it's life. (I don't want to mix brands).

Im not sure if I should go with Panasonic AY-DVM60EJ or Sony Premium DVM-60PRL. Even though it cost a few cents more Im leaning towards the Sony just because It will be use on a sony cam.

Will any brand do fine?

Thanks in advance for any input,
David Aguilar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2005, 10:35 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I have the VX2100 and have always used the Sony Premium DVM-60PRL tapes. I have never had a problem. I've never tried the Panasonic tapes so can't really comment on them, but have heard that they are good tapes.
Sheila Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2005, 11:18 PM   #3
Trustee

the story so far;

stick with one brand, doesn't matter which, according to the majority.

in my case, (i'm a hooker, have camera, will shoot), i've used sony, panasonic, tdk, and a few jvc in the same three cameras (1000>150>170), without any problems

leslie

might point out that i don't constantly mix tapes, ie, might shoot 10 of one brand on a job, the next job 20 of another brand (i have client supplied tapes). i do try to avoid alternating tapes on a shoot though.
Leslie Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 01:42 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Wand
the story so far;

stick with one brand, doesn't matter which, according to the majority.

in my case, (i'm a hooker, have camera, will shoot), i've used sony, panasonic, tdk, and a few jvc in the same three cameras (1000>150>170), without any problems

leslie

might point out that i don't constantly mix tapes, ie, might shoot 10 of one brand on a job, the next job 20 of another brand (i have client supplied tapes). i do try to avoid alternating tapes on a shoot though.
Do you use a cleaning tape every time you switch to a different brand?

BTW I thik I will stick with Sony Premium DVM-60PRL
David Aguilar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 04:18 AM   #5
Trustee

never used a cleaning tape in over 30 years in the industry. on sp cameras i have used a swab and freon, but that was a station camera using multiple pass tapes. cheapskates!

i would use one if the need arises - i've always carried one in my grab bag.

my advice, fwiw, is don't mix tapes if possible, don't re-use tapes more than once or twice, (and then only if they've been 'dumped', not rock'n'rolled). don't use your camera as a deck.

leslie
Leslie Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 07:28 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Cleaning tape saved my JVC

A cleaning tape saved my JVC camcorder. I had been using my little 1998 JVC camcorder as a DV playback/capture machine and neglected to clean it for the last two years. Several months ago, the unit would go into "E04 Safeguard mode" whenever I inserted a tape. I thought the unit had died, but just before tossing it out, I decided to try cleaning the heads with the cleaning tape. Voila !
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2005, 11:36 AM   #7
Fred Retread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Wand
...i've used sony, panasonic, tdk, and a few jvc in the same three cameras.... without any problems...
That's been my experience too, also with three cams, and adding Fuji to the list of tape brands. In the absense of any evidence to the contrary (and there is absense of evidence to the contrary), common sense dictates that tapes are made to a standard and you should be able to use any brand whenever you want to. That's what I've done, and my experience has not contradicted my common sense.
Old October 1st, 2005, 10:16 AM   #8
Inner Circle

I like what Fred says - you should be able to use any brand of tape you choose, at any time, and switch between brands willi-nilli.

But why take chances with your new VX2k1 David? Take a guess at what brand of tape the Sony R & D engineers used when they put literally thousands of metres through those prototype DV deck mechanisms back in the late 90s. I'll bet they didn't go out and buy Memorex, Fuji, Maxell, JVC to do their testing.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2005, 07:39 PM   #9
Trustee

i was told by a sony tech that with the bvw series betacams they tried a variety of tapes - though not for anything else other than 'breaking and stretching' with ff / rr / cueing...

as for the pro equipment i used - tape brand was NEVER a consideration - though i never did trust ampex 'gearing' - used to get a lot of slack errors...

then again, there wasn't any wet and dry.....

leslie
Leslie Wand is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion