Sony Changes Low Light Capability of VX2000 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old November 30th, 2002, 10:30 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony Changes Low Light Capability of VX2000

Sony VX2000 website now shows specification for minimum illumination of 4 lux!! Most people think it is 2 and in fact VX2000 manual shows a value of 2 in Specifications Section. What is going on: (1) just more inept bumbling by the Sony website "masters"; (2) Sony has changed the VX2000 but didn't tell anybody--maybe they fixed the audio but just to keep consumers upset they made the low light worse; (3) Sony lied on earlier 2 lux ratings and are quietly trying to re-write history; (4) there is some new lux standard that Sony is adhering to; (5) they are preparing us for the new "improved" VX3000 which will in fact have a 4 lux rating. Sony consumer websites just keep getting worse--I would almost buy a GL2 just because of how great the Canon website it.
Dennis Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2002, 10:39 PM   #2
Warden

Re: Sony Changes Low Light Capability of VX2000

<<<-- (4) there is some new lux standard that Sony is adhering to; -->>>

There is no standard for lux measurement. That is a big problem for comparing the measurements between manufactures. Measurements between consumer, prosumer and broadcast may be measured differently my the same manufacture.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2002, 11:00 PM   #3
Outer Circle

I've got a couple of good lux links here:

http://www.dvfreak.com/lux.htm
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2002, 11:45 PM   #4
Wrangler

Go look at the on-line manual and see if they have changed that. I'd guess that an email to Sony is in order if you are concerned.

Do you have a 2000 or are you contemplating the purchase of one?

Web site content might be a bit extreme as a determiner of what one should buy.
Old December 1st, 2002, 09:03 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Low Down on Low Light

Jeff and Frank, thank you for input on lux ratings,and I had read that there is no standard for comparison among manufacturers. However, something seemed wrong when Sony online manual shows minimum illumination of 2 lux at f1.6 and I don't know if the Sony Consumer Website information on VX2000 just changed or has always been showing 4 lux. The PD150 on line brochure shows minimum illumination rating of 2 lux and maybe Sony is just trying harder to sell more PD150s vs VX2000's.

Mike, I will probably buy a VX2000 and you are right it would be extreme not to buy a product just because of pitiful website. It seems an excellent camcorder despite all the posts and third party criticism of audio (combined with notes I have seen from Sony saying expect that from a consumer level product). It is just so difficult to get information from Sony about VX2000 via website or calling their consumer help(less) phone lines or E mails that it seems to reflect a corporate attitude of poor customer support. I will let you know my experiences when I try to find out about the sudden 4 lux rating for the VX2000. That is in stark contrast to the perception you get when looking at the Canon GL2 website--Canon is a company that at least gives the perception that it likes to inform the consumer and is not trying to hide information like the impression you get from a Sony website. I do find the Sony "pro" helplines to be much better than consumer side of Sony and the people there at least try to help you out and Sony has apparently invested in training these people.
Old December 2nd, 2002, 02:02 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Sony Wrong

Had surprisingly good experience with Sony helpline today and they said the website data showing 4 lux minimum illumination for VX2000 is wrong; should be 2 lux. Although no industry standard, I assume Sony is at least internally consistent with testing.
Old December 2nd, 2002, 02:12 PM   #7
Warden

Not really, Sony measures their broadcast equipment differently than the consumer line. Prosumer I'm not so sure about. Any thoughts on that Mike?

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2002, 08:44 AM   #8
Major Player

Although it would be simple to measure and publish the real Lux capabilities (like the F-number at 2000lux for 100 IRE on a 80% refective target, together with the S/N ratio) this would aparently have no "commercial" value. Sony and the others know very well that the only thing their average market knows about "lux" is that it has to be lower than the competition...So the world is open for all kinds of lies and non documented test conditions and image interpretations..
Andre De Clercq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2002, 02:53 PM   #9
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

2 or 4 makes no difference as you are NOT given a reference point. perhaps a F stop or IRE reference would HELP .. 2 lux could mean they see something in the frame ? or does it mean a GOOD exposed frame ? i would NOT buy a camera based on 2 or 4 lux without a reference ...

what is a LUX ? i have 3 light meters - none have LUX ?
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2002, 03:43 PM   #10
Major Player

lux (lx) is a unit of scene illumination (lumen/square meter). Maybe footcandle (lumen/square foot) is better known by Californians. If your "lightmeters" are only meant for photogafic work they are maybe measuring in terms of shutter times, apertures,...
Andre De Clercq is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion