Waiting for VX3000 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old December 9th, 2002, 05:20 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Waiting for VX3000

I want true 16:9 plus low light capability plus low smear and no camera seems to provide these things at the moment in the prosumer range. I thought the PDX10 or MX500 might but they seem to have fatal tradeoffs because of their smaller CCD's.

I might wait for the next VX version, hope it's not too long

Jim
Jim Nicholls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2002, 05:43 PM   #2
Wrangler

You may have to wait until you can afford a DSR-570WS.

All of those things are mutually incompatible in low-end cameras exactly because they require larger CCDs. And lens. As the lens gets larger to support larger CCDs, they get more expensive. Really fast

I'm amazed that the PD-150/VX-2000 have lower noise in really low-light conditions than the DSR-300.
Old December 9th, 2002, 06:31 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Mike,

I already own a DSR500WS and it is a great cam. I just wanted a backup/handheld cam to compliment my existing unit. We are shooting 16:9 fairly extensively so this feature is important as is low light and low smear. Have we hit the technology wall? I hope not. The VX uses larger chips than the MX500/0 and PDX10 so the next model may be able to incorporate higher density chips of the same size as the existing VX2000 chips that will allow for true 16:9 with comparably reduced smear and lower light capability. I reckon this would be a great cam that would completely dominate the prosumer market if it's possible.

Jim
Old December 9th, 2002, 06:48 PM   #4
Wrangler

The difficult part is the higher chip-count for 16:9. Requires a different lens, etc. Which would no-doubt raise the price.

It will be interesting.

If you are shooting a DSR-500 now, you aren't doing many weddings and other small stuff. What is your target audience/market?
Old December 9th, 2002, 08:16 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Mike I provide imaging services in a research lab which has demand for video at all levels from PowerPoint to web to corporate to broadcast. Great job!

Jim
Old December 10th, 2002, 09:34 AM   #6
Wrangler

You might want to take a look at the camera head systems that can do 16:9. You know, the ones that are a small box with a lens attached.

I think you could feed a portable VTR from one of those and have even more maneuver room than with a PD-150.

Or even a lipstick camera. I have one that was formerly used for a microscope. Changed the lens and it is great for use in limited space applications.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion