VX2000 Problem? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old December 10th, 2002, 05:17 PM   #1
Regular Crew

VX2000 Problem?

All right, just one question; when Custom Preset is "on" is the VX2000 supposed to display AE shift settings in LCD screen along with the CP icon?? Manual says it should.
Dennis Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2002, 09:09 PM   #2
Major Player

AE Shift

Just tried it. Mine doesn't.
David Hurdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2002, 09:38 PM   #3
Regular Crew

VX2000 AE Shift

Thanks for feedback, David. I just wondered if there was something wrong with my VX2000. Given similarities between VX2000 and PD150 I suspect there may be some items in the VX2000 manual that are really meant for PD150 (which has a separate button I am told for AE shift). Regards, Dennis
Old December 11th, 2002, 11:01 AM   #4
Wrangler

Yes, the 150 has a separate button on the back of the camera.
Old December 12th, 2002, 04:02 PM   #5
New Boot

Dennis:

So you decided to go with the VX2000 over the GL2 right?
i haven't kept up with the threads. I am a 'novice' myself
looking at both cams. What were the main reasons?

thanks,
--james
gracejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2002, 04:39 PM   #6
Regular Crew

James,
Sorry if you have seen this post before but it is my new VX2000 system which I am presently selling, and did not want you to miss an excellent opportunity. See:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20333&item=1944032010&rd=1
If you have any questions, please let me know.
A sale off E-Bay is preferable if you would like the system.
Let me know.
Steven Forrest
Steven Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2002, 09:16 PM   #7
Regular Crew

VX2000 Choice

James, took me a long time to decide because was nothing clear cut about choice--both great cameras. Subjectively I liked the Sony picture better and I think the slightly larger CCDs do give it a slight benefit in low light and high contrast situations--articles by experts (which I most definitely am not) generally say the same about benefits of larger CCDs. In low light I could quantify the difference because GL2 always needed wider aperture or more gain vs Sony. I recommend doing what I did and find a store with both cameras and get their expert to do controlled outdoor and indoor shoot with you. I think the GL2 gives you more options for manual settings, for instance I think it allows you to independently control gain and aperture whereas VX2000 does not allow manual control of gain (except to set limits). However, in reality most of my hobby level shooting is full auto and articles you can find in this forum in VX2000 companion give high marks to full auto performance of VX2000--however articles generally do not compare VX2000 to GL2 so maybe GL2 is just as good in that respect.

Now that I have had a few days to play with VX2000 I wish it displayed shutter and aperture settings when in full auto so you could know what camera has chosen--I don't know if GL2 does that but seems like a good feature to have. Overall very pleased with VX2000 so far.

I have not had a chance yet to do anything to test if manual audio settings will be a problem or not for VX2000. By the way, I would encourage you to contact Steven Forest about purchasing his VX2000 set up because it sounds like he did a lot of research and has a dynamite set up including audio. It was just more than I needed at this point from the audio side.
Old December 13th, 2002, 05:52 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Re: VX2000 Choice

<<<-- Originally posted by Dennis Hull :
Now that I have had a few days to play with VX2000 I wish it displayed shutter and aperture settings when in full auto so you could know what camera has chosen--I don't know if GL2 does that but seems like a good feature to have. Overall very pleased with VX2000 so far.-->>>

no, gl2 does not do this either - but would be a good thing to have
Old December 14th, 2002, 09:15 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Never Mind AE Shift

I had been relying on using the online manual for VX2000 in case I decided to return VX2000 (did not open package that had manual in camera box). Online manual said on p 54 that AE settings would be displayed when using Custom Preset. However, tonight opened manual in camera box and on p54 in discussing Custom Preset settings it did not say anything about displaying AE Shift setting. Thanks to those who replied and sorry for the mistake.
Dennis Hull is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion