VX2100 questions - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old March 20th, 2005, 03:46 PM   #16
New Boot

Not many, but a few vx2100 questions.

Hello all, your previous posts have been a great help and I really appreciate it. But I've ordered a 2100 and I CAN'T WAIT for it to arrive, hopefully tuesday :)

Alright, I'm really curious and I'm not patient enough to wait until mine arrives to find out for myself so I'm going to ask.

Ahem.

I always hear about the low light shooting of the 2100, I hear it's great. Now when people say low light, do they mean like.. LOW light? As in for instance, a dark bedroom with no light except for the Television? or maybe just the door open and a light outside? Or do they mean something like a normal room and there isn't much lighting.

Also.. in order to transfer still images to my computer, do I NEED that sony card reader thing? Theres no way I can have my computer read it as an external drive via firewire, like my digital camera?

I mean like, plugging it in, turning it on and going to My Computer and having it read it as an external drive.

And how is the quality of the camera when you just turn it on and start shooting? Does it require fiddeling with exposure settings and such or is it good on auto?

Any sample footage anywhere?
Advil Dremali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2005, 06:05 PM   #17
Wrangler

Re: Not many, but a few vx2100 questions.

<<<-- Originally posted by Advil Dremali : Hello all, your previous posts have been a great help and I really appreciate it. But I've ordered a 2100 and I CAN'T WAIT for it to arrive, hopefully tuesday :)

Alright, I'm really curious and I'm not patient enough to wait until mine arrives to find out for myself so I'm going to ask.

Ahem.

I always hear about the low light shooting of the 2100, I hear it's great. Now when people say low light, do they mean like.. LOW light? As in for instance, a dark bedroom with no light except for the Television? or maybe just the door open and a light outside? Or do they mean something like a normal room and there isn't much lighting.

Like it is too dark to read and the only light is from candles in the center of 8 foot tables and the guest's faces are OK.

Also.. in order to transfer still images to my computer, do I NEED that sony card reader thing? Theres no way I can have my computer read it as an external drive via firewire, like my digital camera?

They ship one with the camera, the card-reader thing. Also can use USB connection but I've never used it.

I mean like, plugging it in, turning it on and going to My Computer and having it read it as an external drive.

And how is the quality of the camera when you just turn it on and start shooting? Does it require fiddeling with exposure settings and such or is it good on auto?

Just fine. Everything is mainly fine-tuning. Exceptions are when you want a specific item exposed at a specific value. Then you need to play.

Any sample footage anywhere? -->>>
Old March 20th, 2005, 07:30 PM   #18
New Boot

Cool, thanks. Are you sure they ship the card reader with the camera? I have the .pdf of the manual and it doesn't say it's included. And at bh's site it doesn't say it's included.
Old March 20th, 2005, 09:21 PM   #19
Wrangler

I cannot confirm that but I've got 2 PD 150's and 2 card readers that came with them. Maybe 2100's are different, there have to be other 2100 owners lurking around that can answer this question from direct experience.
Old March 20th, 2005, 09:30 PM   #20
New Boot

oh alright, I thought you had a 2100.

I'll give you 5 bucks for one of them card readers :)
Old March 21st, 2005, 02:29 AM   #21
Inner Circle

The thing about the VX2100's low light ability is that whatever you're filming, in whatever light, you can always say to yourself that if you had any other camera (GL2, XL2, DVX100, DVC30, FX1, Z1, MVX3i etc etc) then you'd be working at a higher gain-up setting.

Or look at it this way. If you're at max aperture and max gain-up with your new VX, then all the other cameras will under-expose the footage, some horrendously so. The single chippers will mess up the colours, too. Go forth safe in the knowledge that to get better low light performance you've got to buy a 1/2" chip camcorder and spend thousands more.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2005, 02:01 PM   #22
New Boot

Sweet. Thanks Tom :)

Do you have a vx? Did it come with the card reader?
Old March 21st, 2005, 02:30 PM   #23
Wrangler

My DSR-300 is about 1-2 stops slower than my 150. It might be that a DSR-370 is as sensitive as these cameras but I wouldn't bet on it based on a quick test I made between a 150 and a 370 at NAB at the Sony booth.
Old March 22nd, 2005, 12:58 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Yes Advil, I have a VX2000 and it came with Memorystick, card reader and CDROM.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2005, 03:57 AM   #25
New Boot

Sweet, I hope mine comes with one.

I still don't see it in the manual or on BH as an included item though.
Old March 22nd, 2005, 12:54 PM   #26
New Boot

Sorry...NOT included

My vx2000 came with one but unfortunately the vx2100 does not.
Here is what's included with the vx2100.

• Supplied Accessories: AC-L15 Power Adaptor/ In Camera Charger, NP-F330 InfoLithium® Rechargeable Battery, RMT-811 Wireless Remote Commander® Remote Control, 8MB Memory Stick® Media3, 2AA Batteries, Stereo A/V Cable, Lens Hood, Shoulder Strap

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start?CategoryName=&ProductSKU=DCRVX2100&TabName=specs
Ken Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2005, 02:51 PM   #27
New Boot

Ah I see :( that sucks.

THEY DELIVERED MINE TODAY BUT NOBODY ANSWERED THE DOOR AND I WAS ASLEEP!!!

I'm so angry
Old March 22nd, 2005, 09:09 PM   #28
New Boot

Hey all,

I just picked up my 2100 from UPS. I couldn't help but notice that the microphone is a wee bit loose.. Is that normal? Like, if I hold it and wiggle it. It moves around very slightly.

Is it supposed to be like that? Or is it normally solidly in place.
Old March 22nd, 2005, 09:22 PM   #29
Wrangler

Relax!... the microphone is shock-mounted and should be a little wiggly. If you're worried about reading memory sticks then pickup one of those multi-format USB card readers like this http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=282348&is=REG. You'll find lots of other uses for them... I have one which I use for my still camera's compact flash cards, memory sticks from my video cameras and SD cards from a GPS. They're cheap.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2005, 12:05 AM   #30
New Boot

Haha.. whew I thought my mic was screwed up.

Thanks for that link, I'll check that out.

One last question though!

How do I get photos to save to the memory card and not the tape? Whenever I press the photo button, it says no tape... But the memory card is in.
Advil Dremali is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion