VX2100 questions - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old March 23rd, 2005, 02:00 AM   #31
Inner Circle

Your right thumb has to switch the lever round the rearmost record button down to 'memory'. There's a little safety tab to switch forward to allow you to do this.

Don't forget to enter the menu and change the audio from its default setting to 16 bit 48kHz.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2005, 02:51 AM   #32
New Boot

Ah, thank you Tom.

You guys have no idea how much I love you all!! hahah.

Once again, thanks so much for all this help :)

I did the 16 bit thing. Is there any way I can have the audio levels show up on the main display? I can't find anything about that in the manual.

Any other things I should change?
Advil Dremali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2005, 04:45 AM   #33
Inner Circle

You may love us all Advil, but more instruction book reading is called for I feel.

The rear panel of your VX has a button marked Audio Level. Push it and see. If you want to control this level manually you've got to push the menu button, access the audio and set the levels that way.

Other things? Forget the backlight button but don't ignore the spotlight mode - a very clever program indeed.

Don't forget (many do) that headphone volume is controlled by the buttons left of the side-screen.

Use the ND filters. If you wait till the camera calls for them it's getting mighty close to being too late.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2005, 05:40 AM   #34
Wrangler

This is for the PD-150/170, but most of it will also apply to your VX-2100: http://www.urbanfox.tv/workbooks/sonypd150/index.htm
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2005, 03:04 AM   #35
New Boot

Awesome, thanks. I've been reading the manual all day :)

Right now I'm trying to figure out how to adjust both, the f stop and the gain at the same time. I don't think you can.
Old March 24th, 2005, 06:59 AM   #36
Wrangler

You can't adjust them independently on the VX-2100. As you turn the exposure wheel the iris will eventually be fully open. After that, each click adds 3dB of gain.
Old March 27th, 2005, 10:12 AM   #37
Regular Crew

If you're truing to take a picture straight to the memory card, move the selector switch to the last position. One direction is VCR mode, there are two selections in the other direction, last being photo or memory mode. There is a little sliding lock to block this in case you are not planning on using the stick, (keeps you from going there by mistake) Then you just press the photo button to take your picture. You can also capture stills to your memory stick from recorded footage. Put the camera in VCR mode and press the photo button when you want to capture a still.

Hope this helps, I have a vx2000 and a 2100. Love 'em!
Ken Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2005, 07:54 PM   #38
Go Cycle

No Card reader with the VX2100.....that is a fact.

Lou Bruno

<<<-- Originally posted by Mike Rehmus : I cannot confirm that but I've got 2 PD 150's and 2 card readers that came with them. Maybe 2100's are different, there have to be other 2100 owners lurking around that can answer this question from direct experience. -->>>
Old March 28th, 2005, 07:59 PM   #39
Go Cycle

Here are some tips.

Always manually white balance the VX2100.

Go into your custom Pre-set....located via a small button located at the rear of the handle.

Increase your detail 3/4's of the way.

Decrease your saturation 2 clicks to the left.

Make sure you the SET the Custom Pre-Set via the menu.
You will notice a CP icon in the viewfinder.

Congratulations,
LOU
Old March 28th, 2005, 08:47 PM   #40
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Lou Bruno : Always manually white balance the VX2100. -->>>

I find that white balance button thing very confusing, and it took me a long time to realize one simple thing. If you don't see the manual white balance symbol in the viewfinder (or the tungsten symbol), then the camera is in auto white balance mode.

Also, I lost count of how many times I accidently hit the WB button while recording when I was searching for the audio level button!
Old April 6th, 2005, 09:42 PM   #41
Major Player

No card reader included with the VX2100 and it doesn't have a USB port, either. This model was clearly designed for the best
video performance that could be delivered for its price and still pictures aren't a necessary part of this. However, the VX2100 does produce some of the best 640 X 480 stills you could find.
With a 128mb Memory-Stick, I am constantly clicking still images on mine for Internet posting and E-Mail attachments. With this low pixel-size and large memory card, I can get close to a thousand pictures stored in the camera. I'd prefer having two 128mb cards than one of 256mb size, to keep all my eggs out of one basket.

Those who have a Sony GV-D1000 mini-DV VCR, get full Memory-Stick functions and a USB port. I have an older Sony TRV730 Digital8 camcorder, that no longer has a working tape drive. However, its Memory-Stick and USB functions still operate and could be used to transfer the VX2100's still pictures. Also, many people have computers or DVD recorders with card slots. Some of these will take a Memory-Stick directly or with a card adaptor.
If you take inventory of all your gadgets and the ways you could adapt them for alternative uses, you may not have to buy anything, to carry out what you need to do.

And yes, the VX2100 is as good in low-light as many are saying. The best thing about this, is that many of its low-light pictures look very usable for important productions, not just passable in quality. I've shot unlighted footage of deer with mine, when it was too dark to see them with my bare eyes, but they showed up clearly, although not brightly, on the tape. And just a little bit of added light goes a long way with this camera. When I go hiking in the woods at night, I carry a tiny LED flashlight. I've mounted a clip on my camcorder to hold it lined-up with the camera's field of view and it shoots some amazing things with just this bit of illumination. This light cost 15 bucks and runs 50 hours on three AA batteries. I intend to get some Cougar shots this way or be eaten in the process-----or maybe both??
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2005, 10:48 PM   #42
New Boot

Is there something like Frame Mode (on the GL1 and GL2) on the vx2100? I see Frame Rec, but I don't think thats the same.
Old April 14th, 2005, 11:36 PM   #43
Trustee

low light

Just shot a wedding with a DSR-500, DSR-300 and my trusty old vx2000. It was a dark ceremony with an african american couple. My little VX WAY out performed it's two bigger cousins in this instance. After we got back and took a look at the footage I was left wishing I had a whole army of vx's for shooting weddings.
Dont get me wrong, the 500 wipes the floor with the vx when you have ample lighting, but this was the first time I've seen the footage from the vx be much, much better than the 500.
I was kinda proud of my little fella. I'm always secretly rooting for the vx when we put him head to head against the big boys.
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2005, 09:40 PM   #44
Tourist

A few simple questions

I have just recently bought a VX2100. I have a few questions if you guys don’t mind helping me out. The first question is. What are my ideal settings to get the best quality of picture? The second question I have is when importing footage in to my Adobe Premier 6.0 what are the best settings to capture from? And last What is the best way to export from Adobe?

Thank You
All the help will be very much appreciated
Brennan
Brennan Lang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2005, 09:49 PM   #45
Wrangler

Congratulations on obtaining a great camera, Brennan.

You've asked 3 questions, only one of which can be answered with the information you provided.

Camera settings are application-dependent. It depends on upon what you are shooting at the time.

There are no settings on the camera for export. Plug in the firewire cable and grab the footage.

Exporting footage from any editing program depends on what ultimate use will be made of th footage and the media onto which you are going to record it. And, BTW, just to keep the lines clear between the forums, the editing question should be asked in the editing forum, not here. I'd appreciate you posting just the Adobe portion of your querie there.

And good luck, you will like the camera.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion