PD170 "no phantom power" problem ! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old November 15th, 2005, 12:34 AM   #1
Tourist

PD170 "no phantom power" problem !

Hi, I need help with this issue. I was recording normally, and all out of a sudden Phantom Power was gone ! I was using the standard microphone that comes with the camera, and I have never connected any powered Line-ins as to think of it beeing shorted out or something. I tried switching on and off many times, resetting the camera, and still no luck. If I switch to channel 2, there´s no problem. Everything works perfect there. BTW, when I switch off the +48V switch, I can get a signal on Channel 1, but half as strong as when phantom is on (or used to be...), but when I switch to channel 2, without +48V it has no signal at all.
So, basically, this is what happens:
Channel 1: +48V on = No Signal Whatsoever.
Channel 1: +48V off = Low signal
Channel 2: +48V on = Working normally
Channel 2: +48V off = No Signal
Need help as I´m a communications student and this is my finals period so I need to go out there to do some shooting !!!
Thanks in advance !
Chris Cvitanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2005, 04:25 PM   #2
Major Player

Couple things..

1. You blew out the phantom power and send it in to Sony. If it's not under warranty it's $575 flat rate fee.. So tell them other things are wrong too..

2. If you connect or disconnect inputs with phantom power on and the camera on it can lock it all up. So a simple reset of the camera fixes things. However, not sure if this would work for your situation, but worth a shot.

EDIT: nevermind, I just re-read and saw you tried the reset. If your in need of a quick fix, does the LINE-IN still work as normal? If so, get a preamp and line it in.
Pat Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2005, 10:08 AM   #3
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Sherman
Couple things..

1. You blew out the phantom power and send it in to Sony. If it's not under warranty it's $575 flat rate fee.. So tell them other things are wrong too..

2. If you connect or disconnect inputs with phantom power on and the camera on it can lock it all up. So a simple reset of the camera fixes things. However, not sure if this would work for your situation, but worth a shot.

EDIT: nevermind, I just re-read and saw you tried the reset. If your in need of a quick fix, does the LINE-IN still work as normal? If so, get a preamp and line it in.
Hi ! Thanks for the feedback ! You noticed I already tried resetting the camera with no results. Fortunately, I live in Chile, So. Am. so we don´t have the same flat rate system from Sony. Down here at the official Sony´s service center they charge around US$ 40 to check your equipment and based on that they´ll give you a repair fee. I think I´ll have to do that, as I plan to fly down to Patagonia to shoot a documentary and I´ll need the camera working at its best.
Chris Cvitanic is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion