sennheiser me66 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old December 14th, 2002, 03:11 PM   #1
Regular Crew

sennheiser me66

hello,

i would like to get a sennheisr me66 for my pd150. do i still need the k6 with it.

thanks,
Ray Saavedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2002, 05:45 PM   #2
Major Player

Yes you still need the K6, it is the power module. You could later buy a ME67 and still use the same K6 to drive it.
Great microphones!
Rhett Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2002, 06:51 AM   #3
Major Player

The PD150 provides phantom power to the mike so why do you need a k6 power unit?

The ME66 is just the mike. You still need either the k6 or the k6p to screw into the mike so you can plug in the xlr cable. The k6 can be either self powered or driven by phantom power while the k6p is phantom power only. For some reason B&H has the k6p for about $30 more than the k6. Don't ask me why.

Rick
Rick Spilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2002, 01:29 PM   #4
Wrangler

It would be foolish to just buy a phantom-power-only K6 because as soon as you do, you'll want to plug that puppy into a MD recorder or something else that does not have phantom power capability.

IIRC, the K6 that allows AA battery power will also run from phantom power. And run better, I might add. At least most microphones perform better from the higher voltage.

Certainly my AT835B does.
Old December 15th, 2002, 05:24 PM   #5
Regular Crew

what is "k6"??

so this microphone - "sennheiser me66" is better than the one supplied?
Mark Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2002, 07:57 PM   #6
Wrangler

At nearly $400 in the US, yes, it is better. More directional, wider bandwidth, lower noise, higher output.

As with most sound gear, this one is not the best by a long shot but it is good enough for professional ENG applications and usually good enough for low to medium-end professional applications of all kinds.
Old December 16th, 2002, 10:54 AM   #7
Trustee

I second that thought.The K6/ME66 can be beat but you'd have to spend a lot more money.

i think the K6P is more money because it's a lower quantity production run and places like B&H aren't as likely to order in large quantities.

Reading the ME66 spec, the only apparent benifit to phantom was a higher dynamic range.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2002, 11:19 AM   #8
Wrangler

Some also benefit from a higher bandwidth, usually on the higher end. Still, especially with a shotgun, a larger dynamic range is good.
Old December 17th, 2002, 02:32 PM   #9
Regular Crew

where to buy me66?

okay, where's the best place i could get this mike at a good price?

thanks
Old December 18th, 2002, 01:38 AM   #10
Trustee

B&H is about the cheapest and one of the most reliable.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2002, 03:41 AM   #11
Major Player

You also might want to try http://www.zgc.com. Mention that you heard about it from DVinfo.net. They should do a pretty good job of taking care of you. As for Mizell.
Houston, Texas
Paul Sedillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2002, 04:04 AM   #12
Wrangler

I've never understood why the phantom-only power module is listed as more expensive than the battery-and-phantom power module.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2002, 03:39 PM   #13
Regular Crew

windscreen

okay, just purchased the me66/k6. does this come with the wind screen or is it separately.

thanks,
Old December 19th, 2002, 10:16 AM   #14
Major Player

Hey Guy's,

Stop with the B&H being the cheapest & most reliable. Zotz digital (which is also a sponsor) has the me66 for $375 and that includes shipping. www.zotzdigital.com

Chris
Chris Korrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2002, 11:09 AM   #15
Major Player

The one thing you can say about B&H is that they are a great place to start. They always have pricing info on their site (or have an automated e-mail set-up for items where they can't show the current pricing.) And I've dealt with B&H and I trust them. If they are not always the cheapest, they do tend to be competitive.

I am glad to hear good things about Zotz. It is always good to hear about reputable vendors. As a consumer I like having choices. As a consumer, however, I don't think Zotz's website does a particularly good job of representing it.

Their website is full of "Call for Pricing" or "Pricing available on request", which is fine but not terribly useful. Of 14 or so Sennhieser products listed, three had pricing info. In fairness, one was the ME66 which they had listed for $375 compared to B&H's $379. If the difference is $4, I would stick with folks I know.

If Zotz's doesn't charge shipping that could make a difference, though I don't see it anywhere on there website that this is the case. Maybe I just missed it. If it is, it might be something that is worth saying a bit louder.

Rick
Rick Spilman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion