VX2100 dual audio? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old November 30th, 2005, 11:43 AM   #1
Major Player

VX2100 dual audio?

Since I’m not getting a specific VX2100 answer over in the audio group I’ll pose this question here.

I haven’t ordered the 2100 yet and have opted to also purchase the senn g2 wireless setup and also the RODE videomic. I am trying to find out from any VX users “exactly” how to hook these two mics up to the camcorder without the BeachTek (which I will add later if I need to). I’d like to mic up the groom and also get some ambient sounds with the camera mounted videomic.

But again, how do I get "two" mic channels into the VX2100? I can picture this using the BeachTek.

Do I…

- get a stereo to mono splitter
- plug splitter into mic jack on VX2100
- Plug wireless receiver into 1st channel of splitter
- Plug Rode Videomic into 2nd channel of splitter

Or is it as simple as…

- Plug wireless receiver into audio input jack
- Plug Rode Videomic into mic input jack

I realize I won't have any gain control as I would with the BeachTek but will the setup I've just described get me 2 channels of simultaneous audio?

Thanks!
Rick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2005, 01:15 PM   #2
Wrangler

[QUOTE=Rick Steele]

- get a stereo to mono splitter
- plug splitter into mic jack on VX2100
- Plug wireless receiver into 1st channel of splitter
- Plug Rode Videomic into 2nd channel of splitter

is the answer. You have, I believe, level control out of the Senn so you can balance the setup.
Old November 30th, 2005, 01:17 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Your first option should work fine. You might want to think about using a right angle plug before the splitter, otherwise you run the risk of the splitter and plugs, which will be sticking out from the camera, being bumped and possibly damaging the jack.
Curt Talbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2005, 02:46 PM   #4
Wrangler

Do think strongly about the right-angle jack. Many owners have had to send the camera in because a bumped jack bent the socket frame and they lost their external audio.
Old November 30th, 2005, 03:20 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt Talbot
Your first option should work fine. You might want to think about using a right angle plug before the splitter, otherwise you run the risk of the splitter and plugs, which will be sticking out from the camera, being bumped and possibly damaging the jack.
Curt and Mike - Thanks. I never would have thought of the right angle plug (until after I bought it of course). if I can't find one I'll make it myself.
Rick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2006, 08:54 AM   #6
New Boot

I know this thread is a few months old, but I would like to point out that I have tried this in my VX2000 and it does NOT work. (I don't know about the VX2100)

I thought also of using 2 channels of audio from different sources. I made a 1/8" stereo jack to connect an ATR55 to channel L and a samson MR-1 (in mic output mode) to channel R. (The input switch on the handle is set to MIC)

Because the impedence of the inputs is different is makes the mic-preamp (IC1150 - AN2901FHQ) in the VX2000 goes wild. The AN2901FHQ is not capable of independent channel gain. It sets the gain as a ratio of input inpedence vs. signal voltage. Infact that chip is responsible for the poor audio performance in the VX2000.

The problem with this is that it detects the impedence wrong. The only way I have found around it is to use a beachtek or similar mixer and use the LINE level input setting (or use the BBC mod =) )

Please note that all my observations and experience with this are from a VX2000.
Sean Bouchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2006, 07:31 PM   #7
Regular Crew

It works fine for me and my VX2000 with different mics (eg Videomic and Sony MS908C). I wonder if your wiring is correct.

Check out this thread for the proper instructions:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=54677

Curt
Curt Talbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2006, 07:53 PM   #8
New Boot

It would work for me if I used 2 mics, or 2 wireless receivers (using mic level output) together but not a combination of mic and wireless receiver.
Sean Bouchard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion