DXA for VX2100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old December 14th, 2005, 03:41 AM   #1
Major Player

DXA for VX2100

Hello,

I have to buy a XLR adapter for my VX2100 and although I was previously very sure I will get the DXA-4, I'm now strongly doubting whether it's the best choice. Maybe investing in DXA-6 or 8 would be a better idea and I think I'm able to do it if necessary.

There's however one thing I'm worried about. I've heard that DXA-6 and DXA-8 don't fit so well to VX2100 (they place themselves into too front of the cam) and make the handling a bit complicated. One for example said that DXA-8 blocks the zoom and focus rings.

Could you please give me some advice and I would appreciate some pictures of a VX with DXA-6 or DXA-8 fitted.

Thanks!
Georg Liigand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2005, 03:23 PM   #2
Major Player

Anyone, please?
Old December 15th, 2005, 04:18 PM   #3
Major Player

Georg, I've only got a VX2000, but I believe the camera body is mostly unchanged on the 2100 (someone will naturally correct me if I'm wrong, I hope). I have a DXA-6 attached to the camera right now, and it extends forward to the front edge of the zoom ring. It's not completely blocked, but it takes some getting used to. I'll take a quick picture or two and upload them in a few minutes.

Update: Here you go! I attached an XLR cable to the right channel connection to give you an idea of what it'll look like with mics plugged in, and took photos of the left and right side of the camera, respectively:

http://www.gyroshot.com/images/vxdxleft.jpg
http://www.gyroshot.com/images/vxdxright.jpg
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2005, 04:32 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks a lot!! Yep, the bodies are basically the same and at least the size is exactly the same. I am looking forward to the pictures!
Old December 15th, 2005, 04:43 PM   #5
Major Player

You're very welcome, and if there's anything else I can help you with, don't hesitate to ask!
Old December 15th, 2005, 04:55 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks! This helps a lot. It seems like it blocks only the zoom ring, but I'm wondering if the finger fits into the free space between the adapter and the ring?
Old December 15th, 2005, 04:59 PM   #7
Major Player

The tip of my thumb goes in a little bit, but is quickly blocked at the first knuckle. I don't use the zoom ring much (it's dead on my cam, anyway), but I believe if you have to, it's fairly easy to keep your fingers somewhere between the onboard microphone and the body of the adapter, let's say from eight to eleven o'clock, as seen from the back of the camera looking forward--it's a large enough area to allow some movement.
Old December 15th, 2005, 05:01 PM   #8
Wrangler

I prefer the SignVideo XLR-Pro which used to be sold under the Studio 1 label. This is a smaller adapter that is very quiet and small enough to fit under the belly of the camera or on a belt if you want to use their adapter.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion