VX2000 -- various topics - Page 15 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old October 28th, 2002, 06:20 PM   #211
katiyar_sanjay

NTSC or PAL

I know that in some aspects PAL is better than NTSC especially in terms of resolution it offers, although it has drawbacks like flickers etc etc. For me. I am in USA but belong to a country which uses PAL. So if PAL is better than NTSC for which may I dare to ask for everybody's suggestions then I can go for PAL and use a video convertor to use this camera while in USA. And in my home country nothing extra would be needed. If NTSC is superior than PAL then I can do the vice versa in my country.

Thanks.
Old October 28th, 2002, 08:20 PM   #212
Wrangler

I understand the question.

The question however, is not especially easy to answer. All we can do is give you the facts and let you decide.

1. It is still relatively difficult to view PAL tapes here in the US. The VCRs are expensive (around $400 for VHS) and somewhat hard to find. e.g., not off the shelf at your local discount store.

2. In Europe, many VCRs are now dual standard. That is they play both PAL and NTSC. I think all but the least expensive do this although I have not personally been in a EU electronics shop to check. This is via reports from various English and French friends. Your country may differ.

PAL is 625 horizontal lines of resolution played back at 50 Hz.
NTSC is 525 horizontal lines of resolution played back at 60 Hz.

From my observation, PAL looks slightly better than NTSC except I can see some flicker in the display caused by the slightly slow refresh rate (50 Hz.)

Taping using NTSC in PAL 'country' like the UK tends to show flicker in lights like flourescents and other gas-discarge lights because of the slight differences in frequency in shutter speeds. I beleive the reverse holds true too.

If you are planning to return home in a short period of time, I'd get a PAL unit and use some sort of converter or dual-standard television.

If, however, you are going to stay here (welcome) and/or want to edit your work, then it gets a bit more complicated.

I do ship tapes into PAL country. To do so, I shoot and master under NTSC and then have my duplicator run off a batch of PAL tapes. The quality is fairly good according to all reports.

If you wanted to ship PAL tapes home, you could, I suppose, use a PAL camcorder and buy a PAL VHS deck and master directly to the deck. I think most modern PAL vcrs will work OK in the US.

Perhaps someone else can comment on editing in native PAL here in the US. Many editing systems can be switched from one standard to the other.

There are some cameras (I think both the 950 and 2000 are not among them) that can operate in dual standard. In reality, I believe the only difference in NTSC and PAL camcorders is the firmware that is turned on in the camera. That is, they can do both if one has the magic key. I don't know anyone outside of Sony who has such a key.

If you were going to do a conversion to film, then PAL does deliver a slightly better final image according to those who do those things.

I think it is a hard choice with no clear-cut answer.
Old October 28th, 2002, 08:35 PM   #213
Trustee

"But you asked questions that you could have answered with a look at the titles of the postings on the first page of this particular forum. Had you done a search on the words 'Broadway' and 'ebay', for example, you would have found the comments on them too.

Maybe it's just the wrong phase of the moon for me today. I did not mean to insult you or chastise you. Only to guide you (grumpily, I admit and for which I appologize) to where the answers can be found."

When I made a similar comment several months ago our fearless leader pulled the post and spanked me. I do understand exactly what you say Mike and I agree with your feelings that people should help themselves. They should also share some of the leg work to find answers. The only thing that I find upsetting is the double standard.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2002, 08:40 PM   #214
Wrangler

I just bought a VX2000 a few weeks ago from J&R in New York. They beat the lowest _authorized dealer_ price that I found on the Internet (Profeel) -- total, with shipping, was $2,330. J&R is very reliable (This is my second camcorder from them, and about my 5th major electronic item). They don't pressure you to buy junk, they ship on time, everything is brand new, sealed, in the box, US warranty. In short, I recommend them highly.
Paul Tauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2002, 09:00 PM   #215
Trustee

$2300 US is about the lowest legitimate price. Many times, however, it's worth paying a few dollars more for extra service. I paid $100 more so i could deal with a person face to face. I know that if I have a problem that their shop is a lot faster than the Sony warranty depot.
Old October 30th, 2002, 09:18 AM   #216
New Boot

Used VX2000, what to check for?

Hello, I have the opportunity to buy a used (8 months old) VX2000. I'll be going over to check the camera.

What should I be checking? Are there any known issues with this cam?

Thanks for your suggestions!

Randy
Randy Wisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2002, 10:38 PM   #217
Wrangler

Has it got the audio noise mod?

How many hours (menu item)
Clean inside the tape door?
Many little bumps and nicks on outside usually means it was handled hard.
Any bright or dark pixels on the CCD, viewfinder or LCD panel?
Front lens surface clean and free from scratches.
Camera generallly clean and not dusty.
All controls operate freely
All controls actually affect their respective function.
Tripod socket still firmly attached on not partially pulled out of the body.
Microphone functional on both sides.
External microphone connection works in both mic and line
Headphone connection works
Lanc control works.
Batteries are in good shape
Lens cap is present.
Large viewfinder eyeshield is included
Viewfinder is clean and clear.
Old October 31st, 2002, 04:36 AM   #218
prooption

vx and external mic problem

well i just bought a mic i can use for interviews and such, anyway i realized that when the plug goes all the way in the outlet i can only hear sound on the left side but when i pull the plug out just a little bit both sides can hear, however when its not fully in the plug tends to fall out.

Im wondering if anyone out there has come across this problem? and if so what did u do to fix it
thanks
Old October 31st, 2002, 02:23 PM   #219
Wrangler

Replace the plug with a stereo plug and it will work fine.
Old October 31st, 2002, 05:18 PM   #220
Trustee

Buy a 90 degree (right angled) 1/8 mono female to stereo male adapter at Radio Shack. Your mic is mono and the camera mic input is stereo. A straight plug has the potential of getting hit and cracking the plug housing or damaging the jack.
Old October 31st, 2002, 11:30 PM   #221
prooption

thank you verymuch!
Old November 1st, 2002, 06:27 PM   #222
New Boot

Lens Suggestions for VX2000

I just started browsing for a good wide-angle adapter and a good fisheye lens. I know Sony's wide angle is of good quality but I am not ready to pay the retail price before exploring other options. However I am wary of lenses on Ebay from providers like 47st photo that are selling brands I've never heard of.

What are your opinions in buying/dealing with WA and Fisheye lenses? Thanks.

P.S. What does it mean when a lens has a 'bayonett" mounting system?
papabryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2002, 09:36 PM   #223
Regular Crew

For a fish-eye id get the Century Mark 11 .3 Fish-eye. And for just a normal wide angle lens id go for the Canon WD58H.

Alex

P.S. I no the century lens is a bit steep but man its freaking sweet when your field of view is 13mm, and still vary sharp
P.P.S. dont buy a Kenko lens unless u realy have to
Alex Ratson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2002, 09:54 PM   #224

Hi Alex,

I agree with papabyrd on the WD-58. Make sure you get the tulip shaped sunhood with it, it is shaped that way so you won't see vignetting when full wide from the hood.

I also think the Century Optics .55x Reversible is a good complement to the WD-58, although not a full zoom-through like the WD-58, it gives you two different angles - screw it on one way and it is a .55x, unscrew it, flip it around and screw it back on and it is a cool fish eye. About $240 or so, the glass is high quality with no chromatic aberration issues to speak of.

http://www.centuryoptics.com/product...eversible_waa/
CREATE and NETWORK with http://www.bosfcpug.org
and also http://fcpugnetwork.org
Don Berube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2002, 05:57 PM   #225
Major Player

link to VX2k onboard mic and windscreen test

interesting link with tests of placing a windscreen on VX2k mic etc.

http://www.bealecorner.com/vx2000/wind/VX2k-wind.html
Matt Stahley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion