VX2000 -- various topics - Page 20 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old March 20th, 2003, 10:33 PM   #286
Obstreperous Rex

Members who are still using "handles" (which are no longer permitted, see the link in my signature below), are urged to update their signatures with their real names (click "user cp" button above, then choose "edit profile"). That way one of the admins can come through and update your username for you. Thanks,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2003, 02:11 AM   #287
Outer Circle

bluerabitt, you have to give us more details. I've never even seen/heard noise from footage shot with a VX2000.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2003, 04:01 AM   #288
Regular Crew

Yes I use ND filters when needed. May be my prior explanation is not correct. When I see the heavens in my NTSC monitor I can see it some (a little) grainy...The movie is not over or underexpossed, and I have not sun reflections...is just the pure blue "tropic" heaven. Any idea about?

Federico Prieto

Chris: mail sent......
Federico Prieto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2003, 09:09 AM   #289
Regular Crew

One thing I've noticed with any lossy compression scheme is that the areas where you usually can really see artifacting is in big smooth colors. Is it possible that you're seeing DV artifacts and not camera noise?
Old March 21st, 2003, 09:53 AM   #290
Regular Crew

Yes Brian; that is possible....I believe that it is what I see.

Thaknks
Federico Prieto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2003, 12:50 PM   #291
Tourist

Question about vx2000 low lux mode

Recently, I was filming a band and the the light was very low so I decided to try the low lux mode under the ae function. While it gave a tremendous boost to the video in terms of brightness, it also made the band appear in slow motion.

What did I miss, forget to do? Does anyone here have experience using the low lux mode?

What is the best way to film in low light situations? Should I adjust the exposure and shutter speed manually and forget about the low lux mode? Or does it work with some setting that I forget to do?
J.P. McLean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2003, 01:17 PM   #292
Inner Circle

Yes, forget about the low-lux mose. The band weren't in slow motion (you'll notice that the sound track was perfectly normal) but they were being filmed at 1/3rd or 1/6th sec. These slow shutter speeds are fine if that's the effect you're after, but in reality you're better off sticking to 1/50th, using the faster wide-angle end of the zoom and applying gain up.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2003, 01:31 PM   #293
Tourist

Thanks Tom
J.P. McLean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2003, 11:19 PM   #294
Regular Crew

how can I improve VX2000 audio?

Hi - I use a Sony VX2000 and want to find a way to improve the audio - I would like to attach a professional 3-pin mike like a Sennheiser, but I don't know if there is any kind of adaptor that can be attached to the camera to allow for this - any advice?
Lizi Hesling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2003, 12:19 AM   #295
Outer Circle

Perhaps look at the Beachtek and Sennheiser ME66/K6.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2003, 05:47 AM   #296
Major Player

Improve VX2000 audio

Here are two options copied from my ever-present wish list:

 Studio 1 XLR-BP-PRO Replacing the original XLR-PRO, this beltpak version features two XLR inputs, switchable for mic/line, volume controls (attenuation), mono/stereo, ground lift, as well as 1/4-inch and 1/8-inch inputs (which you should be cautious about using). The box features DC blocking and almost no internal loss of mic signal (unlike certain other brands). It is less expensive than the original XLR-PRO boxes. USD$200 at http://www.equipmentemporium.com/audiofor.htm

 XLRH8/DV cable Adapts XLR to stereo mini, bridges audio over Left and Right camcorder channels to eliminate noise. Blocks any stray voltage at camcorder input. Note: Some miniDV camcorders may not require voltage blocking. However, most Sony's work best with this cable. http://www.equipmentemporium.com/audiofor.htm (USD$50)
David Hurdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2003, 10:24 PM   #297
obljsurf

Sony VX200 Horzional lines

I get short horizontal or fuzzy edges on moving people or things. Takes still pictures very clear. I have tried program scan and fast shutter speeds no help. Any advice? Clean the heads, take the camara in, or normal.
My daughter's ice skating competion looked so bad I can't watch it on TV. On the camara with the small picture you don't see the fuzzy edges.
Old March 29th, 2003, 10:31 PM   #298
Wrangler

This is not normal AFAIK.

Always a good idea to run the cleaning tape for 5 seconds and see what effect that has. Try a different tape.

If you have made adjustments on camera operation and want to get back to nominal, use the Reset button on the camera.

If the problem persists, I'd return it for service. Hopefully it is under warranty.
Old March 30th, 2003, 12:16 AM   #299
obljsurf

lines

New sony tape didn't fix it. Camara reset didn't fix it. Head cleaner ordered, comming in the mail.
Old April 2nd, 2003, 04:06 PM   #300
Regular Crew

what about faulty connection? such as a stressed cable?
Mark Thomas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion