VX2000 -- various topics - Page 21 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old April 6th, 2003, 10:39 PM   #301
New Boot

Mike (and anyone else who'd like to add their 2 cents),

I have used your suggestions and have done a lot of further research on what audio equipment to get for the upcoming safari. You had suggested the Sennheiser MKE 300 but what would you think about the K6ME66 combo instead? That seems to be the top microphone suggestion in various other posts around the forum.

I did notice comments about reducing the output, both for the MKE 300 and the ME66, how is that done? Do I have to send it to Sennheiser or is there a attenuator that can be put in series with the mic or what?

I would also add the LightWave mini mount and windsock as wind noise is definitely present on safari.

Lastly, do you prefer a specific XLR adapter and/or cables. I am leaning toward the Studio 1 because overall the posts seem to a bit more positive as contrasted to the BeachTek.

Thanks for everything,

Jacki
Old April 7th, 2003, 12:24 AM   #302
Wrangler

The problem is that a microphone will not solve your problem. Ths shotgun, of whatever brand and quality, is sitting in the Land Rover, not with the Lions. So you are going to get Land Rover sound, not the crunch you are looking for. It's the inverse square law biting you here.

Even a parabolic reflector setup won't give you quality sound in this case.

The ME66 setup can be had with a reduced gain (the K6) amplifier. Order that one from the get-go. B&H probably can handle the order. I would not use a MKE-300 at all if I had a choice. Too flimsy and no way to put a fuzzy cover on it for wind protection.

My preference would be for an AT835B microphone which I think works as well as the Sennheiser and costs about $150 less. I believe it to be more rugged and less prone to overload in loud environments. But that is my choice and you may like something else.

As far as an XLR adapter goes, I would not use one. I'd just get one of the cables that has a condenser in series with the signal wire to block the DC voltage from the camera and let it go at that. The length of wire that will be unbalanced will be about the same and you won't have to put up with the adapter which is a pain. I thnk you can get those from Markertek or build your own according to the schematic furnished by Jay Rose in DV Mag. Go to the web site and search his articles for the diagram. Probably $20 worth of parts at radio shack.

The LightWave mount and fuzzy cover is a good idea and you will no have wind problems unless you stick the camera out the window at 60 mph.
Old April 19th, 2003, 07:48 AM   #303
Regular Crew

sony vx-2000 concmer help

I would like to buy the sony vx-2000 but, I only have about $1700 to spend. Is there any place beside b@h that is secure and cheap to purchase this camera. I bought all the accesories for this camcorder already from b@h but, my budget is forcing me to bargain hunt for the actual camcorder. Help me in my search.
Michael McConnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2003, 08:47 AM   #304
Wrangler

Unless you are incredibly lucky, the $1700 new VX2000 is not available. Most sub-$2000 deals are all gray market or bait and switch products AFAIK.

I think you got your priorities reversed if you purchased camera-specific accessories before you obtained the camera.

You should be able to purchase a low-use 2000 for that amount of money if you need the camcorder right now. One good place to look is in a Sony Outlet store. Some good bargains are to be had and the products usually come with a new-product warranty.
Old April 19th, 2003, 08:53 AM   #305
Regular Crew

Michael, I believe someone on this sight posted a message saying they had bought the vx2k just to film his daughters wedding and was selling it afterwards in may. It seemes he is only gonna use it that one time. He mentionted he would sell it for less than $2000 including a couple batteries. Maybe one of the moderators could find his post. If I run across it again I'll let you know.
charles french
Charles French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2003, 09:23 AM   #306
Regular Crew

Peter Kulka in the classified section here. vx2k
Old April 19th, 2003, 03:57 PM   #307
Regular Crew

Thanks 4 help

Thanks for the info--I used to use a friend of mine's vx-2000 so this is why I have the accesories mark but, thanks for all the useful info. I will check out classifieds as well.
Michael McConnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2003, 03:29 PM   #308
Regular Crew

On Camera Mic vx2k

The mic on this camera seems awful flemsy or cheaply attached. Does this mic come off the camera? I could find out the hard way and break it off but I figured I'd ask first.
Old April 20th, 2003, 09:28 PM   #309
Wrangler

Nope, it does not come off unless you break it or disassemble the camera. The reason it flexes is that is a shock mount to minimize noise transmission.
Old April 20th, 2003, 10:06 PM   #310
Wrangler

Isn't that a PAL VX2000?
Old April 21st, 2003, 03:40 PM   #311
Major Player

You know, for all the beating on-camera mics take, I like this one. Of course I'm used to my old full sized Pana vhs recorder too. I shot an entire gymnastics meet from the grandstands, and I am really iimpressed with the quality of the sound I got from my VX2k.
Old April 22nd, 2003, 05:19 AM   #312
Inner Circle

Me too! Good to hear there's somebody else out there who's pleased with the on-board mic. It has its limitations, of course it does, but for a no-hassle run and gun recording it's absolutely fine.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2003, 09:15 AM   #313
Regular Crew

My camcorder is NTSC
Peter Kulka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2003, 08:35 AM   #314
Major Player

VX2000 vx. VX1000

Everyone complains about the Audio performance of the VX2000 but how its audio compared to the VX1000? I've used the 1000+BeachTek Adapter with rather good results. Would you say the VX2000 is worse than the 1000 in that regard??
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2003, 09:17 AM   #315
Wrangler

For most uses, no.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion